Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,358   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Steel, for reel?

Help, please?!
    I'm hoping today is the day things change for me. I use plastic reels. Sometimes (it seems like rarely) the film goes on like a charm. Other times, it's like there's a curse on me. It can take hours to just load one roll of film. The strange thing is, tonight when I was having problems, I brought the reel out into the light. A practice roll of film went on just fine. I'm tired of getting to the point where I just want to smash the reels and canister.
    Now, I've read some posts. Are the steel reels as easy (with practice) and reliable as some seem to think? Again, I use a plastic canister, so I'm used to twirling for agitation. Is the agitation method different for steel canisters? If you buy good reels can you buy a cheap canister?
    Lead retrievers seem like a great thing, are they? Any chance of scratching?
    Thanks for reading and replying!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I now use steel reels almost all the time. The trick is to use the quality brands (like Hewes), and to make sure the film is centred correctly on the clip. After that it is a breeze. So, I am pretty sure they are easier than plastic. For steel reels and tanks you will be using inversion rather than twirling. Yes, the reels are more important than the tank, so you can get a cheaper tank such as one with a plastic lid. Lead retrievers are great and no, they don't scratch the film, well yes they do, but just the bit before the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    By the way, welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you have the Spanish-made plastic tank and reel kit with the "twirling rod" thingy to spin the reels. I had problems using the same kit. I switched to the Paterson tank & reels (also plastic) which you typically agitate by inversion. I find that those reels load much easier.

Do you load your reels inside a changing bag? That's what I use and I found that if I keep my arms in there too long struggling with the film, it makes the reels harder to load as things get warmer & more humid with sweat. I now slide some cardboard inside to make a frame of sorts which makes the space inside larger and cooler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think steel reels are much easier, but like anything else, they take some learning. Generally steel tanks and reels are somewhat smaller than plastic, so if you are using a changing bag, you'll gain a bit of room. Steel is easier to dry between runs than plastic, for either, they must be absolutely dry before use, or you will have problems with the film sticking. On the other hand, steel is a bit more fragile than plastic, in that they are susceptible to bending when dropped, especially on concrete floors. It doesn't take very much bending to render the reel unusable.
    Yes, the agitation method is different, instead of twirling the reel inside the take you cap the top and gently invert the tank to agitate. Many plastic reel systems use the inversion method as well.
    Don't get too hung up on brand, they all work about the same. Used ones are plentiful now, and inexpensive, sometimes free, just check them out carefully before committing a roll of film in the dark. You'll want some practice anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Paterson tanks also come with a "twirling rod" so you have the option of inverting or spinning the reels. I'm a spinner.

As for the choice between plastic and steel reels it seems that half the world uses steel, and the other half have learnt to load plastic. However the comments above about working in sweaty changing bags is worth noting, it seems, from what you say that could be the root of your problem.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't see any comment about changing bags from the original poster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Don't get too hung up on brand, they all work about the same.
    The Hewes mentioned earlier don't work the same way for 35mm as most other steel reels. They have a set of two "pins" that grab the sprockets on the film. This aligns the film properly for feeding in a way that's much easier for a beginner (and non-beginners as well) to load than trying to center the film on a clip by feel in the dark. The Hewes have larger gauge wire as well, which makes the loading more positive and the reel sturdier, less prone to being permanently bent.

Hewes reels are not cheap, but they do have distinct advantages.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 05-06-2008 at 11:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've smashed a plastic reel before under similar circumstances.. I did switch to stainless (Hewes 120 and Kinderman 35mm reels). It's worth it. Atleast it was for me. 35mm is tricky at first, the Kinderman has two sharp teeth that puncture the film to hold it in. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy and you can load it wet/damp.. There's also a loader for the kinderman 35mm reels that works real well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found the key to loading plastic reels is to simply stay calm, the calmer I am (usually aided with an alcoholic beverage) the easier it goes, less time, less sweat, less sticking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin