Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,969   Posts: 1,523,457   Online: 959

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Beseler 45 MX head movement

Just a question since I seem to be missing the manual.... I want to be able to aim my head at the wall rather than at the base. I know this can be done, because there is a brace in back of the head to do it. Before I go loosening every bolt on the machine, can anyone give me a heads up on how to do this?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    Just a question since I seem to be missing the manual.... I want to be able to aim my head at the wall rather than at the base. I know this can be done, because there is a brace in back of the head to do it. Before I go loosening every bolt on the machine, can anyone give me a heads up on how to do this?
    Hi Jeff
    On my Beseler 45, you just swing the head back until the brace engages the cross bar. It is easier to do that desribe. Note that the light source needs to be firmly attached or will fall out when the head is tipped back in its horazatal position!
    Michael

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I think the brace thing is supposed to be loose?---mine seems to be caught by one of the horizontal bars... grrr. got to find another one of these things to look at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a thread from Sept. '07 wherein a member has the manual in PDF form. Might give him a shout.

http://http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/46978-beseler-45-mx-manual.html
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Images
    Good Afternoon, Jeff,

I agree with Michael; it takes just a couple of seconds. Using the enlarger in this fashion, however, does have some complications. It is critical that the wall surface be precisely parallel with the enlarger lensboard and the negative carrier. The tricky thing is that both horizontal and vertical axes must be trued up, with horizontal being the trickier. I never found the effort involved to arrange everything properly worth the bother. On the few occasions when I've had to make an oversized print, I moved the enlarger forward, clamped the rear of the enlarger (very firmly!) to the table, removed the enlarger baseboard, and projected downward between the metal "legs" onto the floor. If you frequently need very large prints, it would be worthwhile to build an enlarger table with a removable center section.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Good Afternoon, Jeff,

I agree with Michael; it takes just a couple of seconds. Using the enlarger in this fashion, however, does have some complications. It is critical that the wall surface be precisely parallel with the enlarger lensboard and the negative carrier. The tricky thing is that both horizontal and vertical axes must be trued up, with horizontal being the trickier. I never found the effort involved to arrange everything properly worth the bother. On the few occasions when I've had to make an oversized print, I moved the enlarger forward, clamped the rear of the enlarger (very firmly!) to the table, removed the enlarger baseboard, and projected downward between the metal "legs" onto the floor. If you frequently need very large prints, it would be worthwhile to build an enlarger table with a removable center section.

Konical
    Jeff
    I think Konical is correct, in fact, that is what I did in my darkroom.
    Michael

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks to everyone who replied, and to the 2 copies of the manual that I got emailed. This is one of those things that the manual is good for. This is my 4th Beseler enlarger, and the first one that is really giving me any head-scratching moments.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin