Thanks for the info guys!
Just found another local listing:
This "looks" newer, which to me would be a bonus, but I really do not know anything about printing! Are there shorter rails available as well? I'd like to place the enlarger on a desk rather than on the floor and at the moment, I have no intentions on printing larger than 8x10 (just bought a box of 100).
What about this one?
I have a 67C, that I've added a colour head to.
I bought it new in the 1970s. I think that it is older than the one pictured, but most of the accessories are commom throughout the line.
They are good, flexible enlargers. Just not as flexible as the 23C series.
They max out at 6x7 format. The 23C series can take up to 6x9.
I can easily do 14x17 on the baseboard - 16x20 in a pinch.
The 67 series has it's own set of lensboard and negative carriers. There is reasonable availability on Ebay, and you can still buy new. The 23C series shares many such accessories with the Beseler 45 series enlargers. There is more availability on Ebay, and you can still buy new.
There are probably more 23C enlargers that have had heavy use in school and group darkrooms.
Both are still being made.
The larger, single column 67 series enlargers (like the one pictured) have a spring loaded head raising and lowering system. I would check to make sure that was still smooth and easily latched before I bought one.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by MattKing; 05-12-2008 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
That was very helpful. I think I'll schedule a meet up with the seller sometime soon. The enlarger looks to be in good condition, but I will be sure to check the raising/lowering system like you mentioned. Is there anything else I should be looking for before purchasing?
The general concerns:
- are there obvious signs of damage?
- do the controls work smoothly?
- is the bellows intact and does it appear to be free of holes?
- when you focus, does the bellows extend smoothly?
- do the parts that should be parallel (lensboard, negative stage) appear to be parallel, and are they perpendicular to vertical?
- does it power up?
- is the wiring complete and does any of it appear frayed?
- if it is a condensor head (the pictured one is) does it include both condensors, and a filter tray (if it is like mine, the front of the head is a door that slides up and out, and there probably is a diagram on the back showing the condensors)?
- does it come with any negative carriers, lensboards and lenses?
There may be other points that come to mind.
Essentially, most enlargers are quite simple. If you are familiar with them, you can quickly locate most problems. Of course, if you were fully familiar with them, you probably wouldn't need to ask these questions .
If you have more questions, don't hesitate to either ask them here or pm or email me.
Thanks Matt! Yeah, I'm not quite familiar with enlargers
I'll print out this list of questions and be sure to grill the seller!
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)