Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,279   Online: 947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Please help ID this enlarger...

Hey folks,

I'm still on a quest in finding a cheap b/w enlarger. I found one locally on Craigslist, but the seller has not mentioned what the model was. I am very new to this, so if you could please help identify this enlarger and maybe give some info on it, that would be great. Also, how large is this particular enlarger? My darkroom is not TOO big (using my bathroom at the moment, though this bathroom is larger than most).

I shoot mainly 120 roll film and some 35mm every once in a while.

Oh, is $60 a fair price for this? I'm not sure how to test if it is in working condition, but hopefully I could ask the seller to demonstrate the enlarger in action (should I bring some paper and a negative to do a quick test?).

Thanks,

Jason

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pho/621090877.html

Edit: Oops I should be a bit more specific. I shoot 120 roll film in the 6x6 format.
    Last edited by jasonjoo; 05-08-2008 at 12:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's an older Beseler 23 enlarger. If it's complete the price is cheap. Assuming it's working of course.

It'll handle 6x9.

Doesn't the seller know? You'll want to ask if things like negative carriers and lensboards are included. They can be found easily enough but they add up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a 23c, but I dont see a lensboard, lens, or negative carrier. Negatrive carriers show up on ebay, but you may want to check ebay to see if you can find a lens board. Ask the seller if he/she has any other parts. The 23c is a very good MF enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not likely you can see it in action as most people selling this stuff off no longer have darkrooms. It's possible, so it's worth asking but don't get your hopes up.

What to look for? I'd make sure its not rusty. That the bellows don't have holes (can check with a flashlight inside the bellows in even a somewhat darkened room). And make sure its not loose where components connect.

At $60, I think it's a decent deal if it has a couple of negative carriers and at least one lensboard. More would be a bonus as well as a decent lens. If no negative carriers and a lensboard, I'd keep looking. You can find them, but it will turn your $60 enlarger into a $100-120 enlarger. YMMV.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    $60 is the most I would pay, but only if all the accessories came with it. There are real deals out there in enlargers. If it's just the body, then maybe $20 or $25. This is for the northeasy, around Philly. Things may be more expensive out there.

I picked up a barely used Beseler 45mxt for $200, and it included a digital timer, extra bulbs, 7 or 8 neg holders (including glass 4x5, 645, 35), a box of developing tanks, 3 decent-quality nikkor lenses... the list went on and on. Everything had the original packaging.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is a 23C series II and they usually sell for around $40 complete with a Beslar lens and the 35mm carrier in good working order. I see them quite often for that price here in UT. Sometimes you luck out and get a decent lens.

Take a look here: http://www.oresteen.com/bess23c.htm

Fred

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'll e-mail and ask if other things are included. If not, I'll keep looking!

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jason,
    Price seems to vary geographically. In the midwest $40 is few and far between. 23C's tend to be +/- $100 Some with accessories some without.
    Here the $40 would be a pretty good price. Lens board & neg carrier add another $40-50. Decent lens ?
    Anyhow if it's got the carrier, lens board, & the condensers, it's worth it.
    Presuming bellows, nylon gears in the chassis are OK
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is listing Craigslist Phoenix under darkroom equipment for a Durst 605, Bessler 23C, both with color heads, trays, drums, and the like for $125.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here in california a 23cII would go for $60 to a $100. I bought one about a year ago and have since then picked up 2 more neg carriers and 2 lens boards. It works well for me and I have hade no problem finding used accessories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin