Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,094   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

How many outlets do I need?

Im building my darkroom and and almost ready for an electricial to come in. I plan on having two enlargers of course each wiht a separate time, small light table, radio, safelights, etc. Also might like to use a warmer in the sink for chemicals in the winter. My question is how many outlets do you recommend without breaking the bank. Is three enough? Should they be on separate circuits? What kind of outlets, etc? Any advice welcome. Darkroom size is about 14ft X 7ft. thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    Im building my darkroom and and almost ready for an electricial to come in. I plan on having two enlargers of course each wiht a separate time, small light table, radio, safelights, etc. Also might like to use a warmer in the sink for chemicals in the winter. My question is how many outlets do you recommend without breaking the bank. Is three enough? Should they be on separate circuits? What kind of outlets, etc? Any advice welcome. Darkroom size is about 14ft X 7ft. thanks
    From a minimalist perspective, put a outlet bo every 6 feet and one set on the ceiling. This may be adequate for now, but you will almost certainly outgrow it soon.

Personally, I would rather have too many outlets. I plan on going for a quad every 4 feet on the dry side. A quad every 6 - 8 feet (depending on room size) on the wet side. At least one quad on each usable (i.e. not used as a doorway end wall. Do not forget the ceiling. I would go for 2 - 4 duplex recepacles on the ceiling. You can split a duplex receptable on to two circuits. doing so would allow one outlet to be always hot and one to be operated on a switch.

I would also hardwire anything that can be hardwired, like ventilation, light fixtures, etc. Definately go for a sub-panel for your darkroom. It will make things a lot easier. 50 amp 220 feed from the main panel should be more than adequate. (While you are at it, add a 220/20 receptacle or two. It is A LOT cheaper to do it now than rip apart walls later.)

You can NEVER have too many outlets. You may even want to consider having the sub-panel fed by a GFCI breaker. (I am not sure if a GFCI breakers will protect a sub-panel or not, check with a sparky.) Also consider magnetic breakers over cheaper thermal ones. They react faster.

From a simplified perspective, pulling 4 circuits costs no more than pulling 1. (Yes, I knowyou have to factor in the cost of cable, but even at Cu's high prices, 12/4 Romex is cheap and you can run 2 circuits on the 12/4 as well. Put in as many as you reasonable can.

Just more of my rambling $0.02.

(Yeh, I am chomping at the bit to buy a new home so I can build my darkroom.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is three enough? Should they be on separate circuits? What kind of outlets, etc? Any advice welcome. Darkroom size is about 14ft X 7ft. thanks
    I'm about ready to start building my benches... I have outlets every 4 feet around the 12 x 12 foot room. I have however, got each outlet where half is connected to a 'normal' switch such that I can plug in my DBI green safelight and control on/off with the switch rather than plugging risk shock when plugging and unplugging with wet, but gloved hands.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's likely a code requirement, but even if it isn't you'll want GFI outlets or a GFI protected circuit. Then the shock risk of wet hands and electricity will be much less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's code here if the outlet(s) are within 6 ft. of plumbing.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    how many outlets do you recommend
    More ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Schwefel. I have the equivalent of 21 single outlets in my small crude darkroom. Sometimes it's not enough.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I agree with Schwefel. I have the equivalent of 21 single outlets in my small crude darkroom. Sometimes it's not enough.
    wait! 21 outlets are not enough?! What are you doing in there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The more outlets the better as they are a safer alternative to extension cords, power strips and 1 to 3 adapters. A quick check of my wet darkroom reveals 28 outlets served by 4 20 amp circuits. The overhead lighting and exhaust system are on a separate circuit. This is over kill for most. I do strongly suggest that the enlarger get it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit, each of my enlargers have their own. All outlets should be GFI type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have a minimum of 10 outlets, that gives you flexability for future expansion for things like processing machines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin