Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,033   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Does anyone still make papersafes?

I am in the UK and looking around for papersafes. They come up on ebay occasionally, but does anyone actually make them any longer?

I need bigger than 8x10. I use 11x14 and 9.5x12 and eventually will go 12x16.

Secondhand darkroom occasionally have them, but I don't see them for sale anywhere else.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H has a pretty good supply. Check out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good question, been wondering the same the same thing myself.
    Seems that here in the UK all we've got are the cheap plastic efforts from Restem or Jessops.
    Quadro Photographic (what happened to them?) used to make a beauty, I think it was made from stainless steel and you could stand your enlarger on it ! I missed a nice looking Durst one on the bay the other day. There was also a guy named Tomkins , I think who used to make them.
    I had an idea the other day about trying to convert one of those mechanics tool drawers into one. The more expensive models have really solid drawers that glide nicely on bearing rollers. Light proofing them looks to be the problem though.

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks.

I saw the B&H site and it might actually be worth paying the shipping to the UK.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

two papersafe drawer designs

...or two descriptions of the same design.

John Sexton's design posted on darkroomagic.com and the design from darkroomsource.net.

-KwM-
    Last edited by kwmullet; 05-25-2008 at 09:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Brumberger!

It's hard to beat the Brumberger paper safes. I have an 8x10 and an 11x14. The 8x10 box has 4 shelves for 8x10 paper and 4 for 5x7 or smaller. The "garage door" rolls back down by gravity after you've let it go, closing with a reassuring thunk (I always check anyhow).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brumberger-METAL...2em118Q2el1247
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks.

Another source I have found on ebay is chambrenoircan. Ships from Canada for £10 to UK and has many sizes (eg a 16x12 is £14). These are 'Premier' papersafes which I have no experience with.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry that should have been chambrenoirecan.
    Mark Tomlinson

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I slightly misinterpreted the question in your heading and, taking it as I read it, would reply "Yes, I recently made one". I bought a secondhand flimsy plastic Jessops thing, but was so appalled by its lack of quality that I never actually used it. Instead I made exactly the box I wanted with a hefty plywood base, strip pine sides and overlapping lid, all painted matt black and with rubber feet. To avoid the possibility of accidentally leaving it open I fitted a restraint from a local cabinet supplies shop that stops the lid from opening fully, ie the lid shuts by gravity as soon as you let go of it. With the black finish and brass restraint, hinges and handle, it has a rather old-fashioned look to it.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is papersafer in offer at www.fotoimpex.de. They are in Berlin.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin