Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,568   Online: 995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

buying the right basins for my new darkroom

Finally I am going to be able to build my own darkroom. (Unfortunately only in a cellar of an old tenement - I hope its not going to be too wet there - but that is a completely different story.) Now I am trying to find the right basisns for it. One for watering the prints and one for cleaning the equipment (bottles, breaker etc.). I was looking for a cheap solution and I found this: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=012

Is there anything wrong with this? They are made from a plastic material called "duraform". WIll there possibly any chemicals that I could be using where plastic isn't apropiate? What else that do I need to consider when buying basins that I might not be aware of right now? Note that the last time I had my own darkroom I was 12 years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks good !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    I think "duraform" is a polyamide (nylon) material and so should resist any chemicals you are likely to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is your darkroom going to have a water supply and drain?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the same basins. I found it to be an inexpensive but awkward solution. I did not want anything permanent and this suffices. The water supply is connected to a garden hose only when I need water. I configured a tube to raise the water level to 9 inches in each basin. To drain one basin, simply remove a tube. Maybe this will spark ideas for a cheaper solution. A single basin would work quite well, also.
    Last edited by DannL; 09-08-2009 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two similarly shaped and sized basins side by side in my laundry room. To say they are inconvenient is an understatement. They are too small to easily wash a tray after use, let alone use for washing prints. Look for something that is at least twice as wide, and shallow - i.e. a real darkroom sink. Eventually, I will replace those two slop sinks (which is what they are called in the US) with something more appropriate. I don't really need running water in the darkroom proper, so I doubt that I'd relocate the fixture.

BTW, you should not need to go to ebay for this sort of thing. Likely you'll find them in your local hardware supply place. Here you can find them very cheaply at Home Depot, or Lowes. The material will give you no problems with darkroom chemistry.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowcat View Post
    Is your darkroom going to have a water supply and drain?
    Yes, why are you asking ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    Yes, why are you asking ?
    You should see if you could get a sink or wet bench made to fit your darkroom, there are companies that can fabricate one to your specification out of rigid pvc.

http://www.richards.uk.com/

There are many labs closing down, maybe you could pick up something from one of those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming you will be printing, you are probably better off with a long, shallow sink. Check out this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...portraits.html) but be warned: there are over 600 posts ... My preformed plastic darkroom sink is a little over 2m long, 70cm front to back and just 15cm deep.

Good luck, Bob.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    Is there anything wrong with this? They are made from a plastic material called "duraform". WIll there possibly any chemicals that I could be using where plastic isn't apropiate?
    Why bother? Since you showed a link in BRD I'll assume you are in Germany. You should be able to get a nice 2nd hand smallish Kindermann or Meteor Siegen washing sink for not much more. Its quite sufficient for environments without trays (I use Nova slots). If you want, however, to use trays you will need something larger and short of the larger Kindermann or Meteor sinks (which are quite large) you might want to consider a Nova sink. Enough room for 3 trays they are plastic but well made, not overly heavy and don't need special legs.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin