Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,085   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roller base

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

roller base

Which is the better option for a roller base, the auto reversing ones or the one way only bases?
    And, for the auto reversing bases, what is largest circumferance tank you can use on them so that you get full rotation and some before its reverses?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm using a Chromega non-reversing base to spin my Jobo 3010 Expert Drum with Pyrocat-HD. It seems to work fine without any streaking or uneven development. I've heard of some people disabling the reversing circuit on rollers because of issues where the developer didn't completely cover the tank surface, but I've also heard some folks recommend a reversing system. I don't think the Jobo system reverses--does it? Probably best to just disable the reversing circuit.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I'm using a Chromega non-reversing base to spin my Jobo 3010 Expert Drum with Pyrocat-HD. It seems to work fine without any streaking or uneven development. I've heard of some people disabling the reversing circuit on rollers because of issues where the developer didn't completely cover the tank surface, but I've also heard some folks recommend a reversing system. I don't think the Jobo system reverses--does it? Probably best to just disable the reversing circuit.
    If the rotation does not do a full roatation of the tank and then some, then you have problems as part of the film will never get immersed in developer. Hence why I think people disable the reversing. But if it does a full rotation of the tank and then some, then there would be no problem and I think possibly more even development due to a more randomised flow pattern. This may not be such a problem on expert tanks, but for roll film it could be, which is why I asked whether reversing on non reversing tanks were better.

more opinions greatfully received, thanks.

Images
    Good Morning, Rob,

I ordinarily use a non-reversing Beseler base. My normal procedure is to lift the drum and reverse it every thirty seconds during processing, but I'm not sure I really need to do so. I have a second base which does have the reverse function, but it doesn't seem to allow a complete 360 degree turn with each cycle, so it is also, for me, a single-direction unit.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I don't think the Jobo system reverses--does it?
    They do reverse (at least the ones I've used cpe2, and a cpp we had at school), IIRC every 5 revolutions or so. No worries with these about not completing a revolution; they turn around a central axis.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the DevTec (non-reversing), the Jobo, and the Beseler (both reversing) with equally good results. I think it would only be fussy if you used a marginal amount of solution.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    So the concensus seems to be that one way rotation works perfectly OK with no uneveness of development.

Curious, I wonder what the big deal is with jobo expert tanks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just for some extra input, I use several of the Model 352 Unicolor Unirollers. Both reverse. I use them without fail to develop both sheet film (9x12cm, 4x5 and 8x10) and prints of varying sizes.

With a Chromega 8x10 drum (4-1/2" dia) it reverses approx. every 1-1/2 revolutions.

With a Unicolor 8x10 drum (4-3/4" dia ) it reverses approx. every 1-1/3 revolutions.

With a Unicolor 11x14 drum (5-5/8" dia) it reverses approx. every 1-1/4 revolutions.

Approx. 4 seconds per revolution.

Approx 1/4 of any given tank is not occupied by film or paper when the maximun size sheet is inserted. This is the area occupied by the chemicals when first poured into the tank. In this way the chemistry hits the film/paper all at once, when the motorized base is initially turned on.

Cheers.
    Last edited by DannL; 05-30-2008 at 11:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    Curious, I wonder what the big deal is with jobo expert tanks?
    Well, they are very easy to load compared to e.g. the Jobo reel tanks or a CombiPlan. Just slide the film into the hole. (Well, with the 3010 there can be 2 films in one hole, but it's still very easy.) Also, when using enough chemicals (which is very little btw.) and proper rotation the end result is usually flawless, with totally even development.
    I've used the two other systems here mentioned, apart from the Expert drums, and I feel much more secure when using the Expert drum. There is very little "fiddling around" compared to other systems.
    (I have "of course" also developed in trays, but any of the above mentioned systems are much better than fiddling in the dark and wet for too long time hoping that everything is allright and that you havn't messed it up when you finally reach the fixer.)

//Björn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rob,

I use a Jobo 2553 drum (cog lid) to develop my 4x5 sheet film. I am fairly new at this but here are my experiences.

I started with a Beseler non-reversing drum and picked up the tank and flipped it over every 30 seconds or every minute during my testing. I fumbled the tank once and developer went everywhere. Oh, well at least it was just test film.

I decided to get a Unicolor reversing motor to try it out. The motor would reverse about every 1.25 turns with the 2553 and my first sheets came out unevenly developed. I then disassembled the Uniroller and disengaged the reversing lever and moved the reversing switch to the outside of the casing. It looks like now I am getting perfectly developed negs by flipping the directional switch about once a minute during the critical chemical stages.

No more flipping of the drum with the possible messy results. Flipping the switch yourself lets you accommodate whatever size drum you want to use.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    Which is the better option for a roller base, the auto reversing ones or the one way only bases?
    And, for the auto reversing bases, what is largest circumferance tank you can use on them so that you get full rotation and some before its reverses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin