Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,092   Posts: 1,635,968   Online: 1137

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Print processing outside darkroom

Hi everyone,

I'm hopping for some help with a problem I've got. I currently shoot a range of formats, mainly 35mm, 6x6 and 5x4. Until recently all film was scanned and printed digitally. However, as how 99% of my photography was b&w, I decided to get an enlarger. I am extremely limited by space, and could only fit in one enlarger so I went for a second hand beseler 45mcx. This currently resides in the spare bedroom, which is still regularly used for visitors. My problem lies in the fact that the only way I have to develop prints is to use a paterson orbital processor that I also use for developing 5x4 film. I load this with the print in the "dark room", and then take it into the bathroom where I process it. I have to do this as I can't use chemicals in the spare room, as I feel it is a bit unsafe with having visitors there. Also, I don't want to risk staining any of the decor. However, I have found that when using the orbital tank there are sometimes random "missed" bits on a print, that result in a white patch. The print always goes in face up. This can happen to 1 or 2 prints a session. The other thing is that I am limited to prints of only 10x8, and would like to print bigger, it is also extremely slow having to process every test print in the bathroom. I have had some good prints using this method though.
    Can anyone think of an alternative light tight processing vessel, or a work around solution?
    Sorry for the long post.

Many thanks in advance,
    Neil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Uunderdevelopment may cause the effects you are seeing. If possible, try to increase the volume of the developer. Are you using 350-400ml?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either Beseler or Unicolour tubes work well, especially if you have a roller base. I've picked up a number of tubes on Ebay, for relatively small cost.

If you have at least three tubes in each size you use, you can cycle through them, and the drying time can be reduced.

Otherwise, can you set up trays in the bathroom, and use a paper safe or the orbital processor to move the exposed prints to the bathroom?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought I hadn't enough space in my house for a proper darkroom as well. Then I looked into the cellar: completely tiled, only one window that could be fitted with a light-tight ventilator, there are wall sockets and water supply. It would have to be heated up for lab sessions. Now, how do I convince SWMBO?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't suppose these would appeal to you, but I've done 4x5 printing in a bedroom closet with the 16x20 trays on an ironing board. Kinda cramped, but at least in the tray I could print by inspection. I've also contact printed cyano & VDB & on printing-out papers in a contact frame under the shade of a nice tree in my backyard. Where there's a will...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ok, thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I will have to look in to the beseler/unicolour tubes.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Jobo 2830(2x 8x10) and 2840(11x14) print tubes which are designed for the job. Those two together allow printing anything upto 20x16 as the extension tube from the 2840 combines with the 2830 to make a 2850(20x16). You need a roller base as well. Either a jobo hand roller base or there are numerous electric roller bases including Ilford, Durst, Unicolour and Beseler.

Also older 4000 series Jobo print tubes.
    And also new jobo 3063 tube which is for 20x24 paper but can take upto 6 8x10's in one go but is pricey at £160.

But if you have a piece of 5mm mdf which can be placed over the bath, then you have a work top for using print trays in the bathroom which is faster than messing with tubes. And tubes don't allow you to see the print emergence time and adjust print time accordingly as the developer becomes exhausted during a session.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now, how do I convince SWMBO?
    And here's me thinking I was the only Rumploe of the Bailey fan in here.
    Thanks that made me laugh.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin