Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,712   Online: 930

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Although I have gone over largely to contact printing large and ultra-large format negatives, I got an Analyser Pro when I was still doing enlarging. It is a tremendous tool, and you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I would have gotten a StopClock Pro with the analyzer add-on, but even 2 1/2 years ago, the dollar was already weak enough against the Pound that I couldn't justify the extra price. You won't go wrong with either, but if you are doing volume printing of images, I would recommend the StopClock so that you can program the burn/dodge sequences. That makes it really easy to make a consistent, repeatable image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last December I bought a Darkroom Automation enlarger light meter. In January I bought the companion timer. My printing is at least an order of magnitude better. I could not go back to a standard second timer and guess strips. I am shocked at how far off the recommended filters were for my Beseler 23C Dichro Head.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies but to be honest I'm still pretty unsure as to which one would suit me better?
    I think I am leaning towards the Analyser but the help with split grading pulls me towards the Stopclock. I'm not going to order anything till the end of the month so I've got plenty of time to think on it.
    Thanks again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ignore this if money isn't a problems but for the first time ever( well first time for me), about a couple of months ago I noticed that the RH Designs machine( can't remember which) came up on the U.K. e-bay and more recently another. Secondhand Darkroom Supplies also had a secondhand one. I guess that the machine is now just about old enough for it to reach the secondhand market.

While you are thinking about it, keeping an eye on e-bay might be worthwhile.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The models available on the second-hand market are generally superseded models, however these are worth considering, and in many cases can be upgraded to the latest specification at minimal cost, if that is required.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format

Go for the Analyser Pro !

Hi Mike !
    I think the key point here is that you have just started printing.
    IMHO, do as I've done, buy an Analyser Pro.
    It will make you the first straight print without a single test strip plus a lot of features you'll discover with time. If you produce consistent enough negatives, the first print will often be the only one ! Because the prints are so good when you just have decided what shade of grey the measured part should be !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mealers View Post
    Thanks for all the replies but to be honest I'm still pretty unsure as to which one would suit me better?
    I think I am leaning towards the Analyser but the help with split grading pulls me towards the Stopclock. I'm not going to order anything till the end of the month so I've got plenty of time to think on it.
    Thanks again.
    I like split grade printing, but I only use it with very difficult negatives now I have the analyser pro. I find that now I can get a pretty good print straight off with a decent negative (like Georges says). It took a bit of practice though. And I still use the analyser to get at starting times for the split grading anyhow and use the built in test strip function.

With regard to dodging and burning. Using the meter on the analyser after a while you can often tell in advance where to dodge/burn and by how much (by getting to grips with the gray scale on the unit and getting to grips with 'placing zones' on the print).
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't tell you which one is best for you, I just know I bought a Stopclock Pro last year and while I have a few niggles with the user interface (buttons having multiple functions and being of the same size makes for hit and miss moments sometimes) I really like it. I think you'd be happy with either, but if you are going to do split grade printing, I think it would be better to buy the Stopclock Pro even if the learning curve might be different (not neccesarily steeper).
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all, been on hols for a week so just got to this thread. This and similar questions are answered in our FAQ pages. My response to the Analyser vs StopClock debate is to ask about your printing needs. Do you want to get high quality prints from a number of negatives with minimum time and effort (Analyser) or do you enjoy wringing the last drop from a negative by extensive dodging and burning and local contrast control (StopClock)? That is really the difference between the products. If you go the StopClock route you can always add a ZoneMaster later to get the metering functions.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Re Zonemaster II

Richard, regarding my Zonemaster II which I have not yet used, I have some decades-old negatives that are extremely dark (over-exposed). How do I use the Zonemaster with these inasmuch as the instructions that came with it tell me to meter a negative with a standard spread of tonality from black through gray to white tones?

Terry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin