Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,181   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Which Enlarger timer (RH Designs)?

I pretty new to printing (about 4 months) and have been using a Paterson enlarger timer/meter which I have found very good for making straight work prints but a little awkward when trying to dodge and burn as it has no visual or audible countdown timer.

I've been looking at RH Designs Analyser Pro and Stopclock Pro and cant decide which one would be the best buy.
    I did really like having the exposer meter on my Paterson so that points towards the Analyser Pro but I would like to think that I will progress to split grade printing in which the Stopclock Pro would be better.

If anyone has either of these products it would be good to hear the pros and cons.

Many thanks
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I cannot tell you which would be best for you, but I can say I use a RH Stopclock and am delighted with it.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You do not need a Stopclock Pro to split grade print, but it does simplify the process. You can also program dodge and burn sequences into the Stopclock Pro as well, which is a great benefit. I love mine and recommend it heartily.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a stopclock pro and love it. I can't imagine going back to a regular timer. Realize that it takes some getting used to at first to get your mind thinking in stops rather than seconds but after the brief adjustment, printing is much more intuitive.

I do wish they made a model with all of the features in one unit.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansel used a metronome to dodge and burn. This isn't rocket science.

If you have planned out what you need to do, it doesn't matter how you count.
    If you haven't.... it doesn't matter either.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Ansel used a metronome to dodge and burn. This isn't rocket science.

If you have planned out what you need to do, it doesn't matter how you count.
    If you haven't.... it doesn't matter either.
    True enough. If you are an atavistic photographer, just hang a lightbulb, count on your fingers, and contact print some 2 inch negatives from a Holga. But if you are looking for an f-stop timer, the RH Designs is very good. Too bad the dollar has weakened though. One of the sponsors here, Darkroom Automation, makes an F-stop timer also but it seems more eccentric to me. Check it out and see what you think.
    Jerold Harter MD

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have been using RH Designs' Stopclok Pro for about four years and its f-stop printing feature is, to me, the greatest darkroom invention since, well, the enlarger! With it I can fine tune my printing results in amazing ways with my dichroic enlarger, something I could never accomplish with my standard Gralab timer. Also wonderful is the easy to use dry-down setting feature which prevents my fiber paper prints from darkening. I am passionate about this timer!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use an analyser pro and could not live without it. It is pretty useful having the meter even just to get you into a ballpark set of times for split grading and to give you a feel of the contrast range of the negative (I also use it to estimate lith printing times which don't have to be exact). It is also very useful as a densitometer to tweak your negative developing regime. The downside is that you have to calibrate your papers for any of this to work, but it only takes me about an hour or so.
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerrold

You made me look up 'Atavistic'.

I'm not advocating ATAVISM, but rather self knowledge.
    Depending on how one uses tools, a simple timer and a notebook might actually be easier.

I'm only advocating for the photographer. I remain technology neutral.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Jerrold

You made me look up 'Atavistic'.

I'm not advocating ATAVISM, but rather self knowledge.
    Depending on how one uses tools, a simple timer and a notebook might actually be easier.

I'm only advocating for the photographer. I remain technology neutral.

I understand. I think that is a healthy tension in any craft - how much do I do "on my own" and how much do I do with technology of some sort. And when does technology start to detract from the craft or become the sole point. In my experience, the RH Designs f-stop timer clearly helps me focus more on craft and helps me do things in printing (i.e. more complicated sequences of dodges/burns) than I could do before. Also, I find that I end up making more notes and being much more meticulous in printing when using that timer. So this is one bit of technology that is a winner and hence the ardent fans.

As an aside, I wonder what tools or technologies in the darkroom people think detract from their craft/process? Sometimes I feel that way about my Jobo CPP even though it is a great piece of gear. It takes up a lot of space and I have tanks and lids all over the place, and now anxiety about its eventual death. Also, I think that a regular linear timer for the enlarger is an encumbrance but I never knew that until I got the RH Designs.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin