Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,181   Online: 689

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Potential Modification to Become Print Processor

I have just retrieved from the discarded junk at work a double section etch tank intended for small scale manufacture of PCBs using ferric chloride.

I intend to try it out as a print processor with developer in one section and fix in the other.

Each section has a heater and thermostat and (I'm not sure how useful this is) a bubble feature.

In the middle is a third section which can run clean cold water over the print via spray bars and out via a drain.

The lids also have a mesh holder which I think will easily hold 10 x 8 paper.

It just needs some serious cleaning now!

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Processor.jpg  
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the device works it may be a better idea to sell it on ebay and buy something made for print processing.

It is made for etching copper with bubbling hot ferric chloride. My guess is the heaters won't work well without the air supply because there is no circulating pump and the quality of the air-agitation isn't going to be up to photographic standards. The temperature regulating range on the heaters may not go low enough for photographic processing. Cleaning it is going to be a real PITA.

OTOH, I have never tried using an etching tank for paper development, and it may work a charm.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Temperature range is 10c to 60c. The air bubbles do not have to be on.

I last used this for its intended purpose about ten years ago.

I have nothing to lose by trying it. Except perhaps some time and some sheets of paper!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Temperature range is 10c to 60c. The air bubbles do not have to be on.
    Sounds a lot nicer than anything I have seen on this side of the pond. Go to it! Though if I had one I would use it for circuit boards...

Looked up the web site: http://www.megauk.com/pcb_processing_tanks.php, nice stuff.

And, looked up the US distributor, and it is a company I have been looking for for quite a while, they bought out the DynaMark labeling system from 3M.

Thanks...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Though if I had one I would use it for circuit boards....
    I don't do circuit boards any more. The only electronic equipment I make now is valve/tube based using chassis and tagstrip!

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin