Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,630   Posts: 1,647,987   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You have obviously thought about this yourself but I always recommend that people try to do their own plumbing. When they seem hesitant, I ask "what is the worst thing that can happen?". My answer is that you might get wet.

I would do it all myself as I object strongley to paying someone to do something which I can do.
    You could be right... Having lived in flats all my life, I'm not quite used to the idea that the worst I can do isn't "flood the neighbours flat below" yet .

I need to get builders in to do a bit of work on the main roof anyway (building regs approval and all that required there, so no way I'm DIYing it) so I'll get them to do the darkroom roof as a side job, but maybe I could look at doing the plumbing myself...
    Perhaps you can keep the transparent roof but dye it red!
    I thought of that . There is a window between the kitchen and the darkroom which I'm going to make a temporary cover to. I was thinking of making an inner cover out of something like rubylith which I could use when doing B&W printing; that way I can wave through it at the wife when I need a coffee made .

(Don't tell the missus I said that, though .)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have obviously thought about this yourself but I always recommend that people try to do their own plumbing. When they seem hesitant, I ask "what is the worst thing that can happen?". My answer is that you might get wet.
    It doesn't particularly matter if you get wet, but if the building gets wet (and particularly if it gets wet slowly, over long periods of time, behind walls where no one can notice), you can get serious rotting issues happening, not to mention mold, which can cause serious health issues.

I'm in the insurance business. Although this loss wasn't owner-contracting-related, we had a burst toilet in 1989 result in a $55,000 loss. Today that'd probably be closer to $100,000.

Houses would last a lot longer and have a lot fewer health issues if we didn't need running water, but I sure can't imagine going without it.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    Whats the car?
    A 1952 Austin A40 Countryman, which he has owned for 41 years. I've attached an image of it, as there are very few of them left. Currently being kept company by a '75 TR6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Austin.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps you can keep the transparent roof but dye it red!

Steve.
    Said with tongue in cheek no doubt and maybe a whole transparent roof and sun would be a bit much to make safe but I seem to recall Les McLean mentioning someone he knows/knew with a shop and darkroom in Selkirk, just over the Scottish border who had "red " glass in the darkroom so he could see if any customers entered his shop while he was in the darkroom.

I got the impression that the glass wasn't just inside the shop but allowed sight of customers entering from the street. I wonder how this worked? Mind you, blazing sun and Selkirk are generally a contradiction in terms

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm looking forward to setting up a darkroom in a couple of weeks, too. Until now I've been renting a darkroom space but moving cities means I'm going to be setting up a less-elaborate darkroom in a storage space. Lots of room, but no water. Should be nice to have 24/7 easy access when I get the urge to print though. Driving downtown for a printing session just wasn't my favorite way to do things even though the space was fantastic.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg, last evening I travelled across town to purchase a darkroom sink, made out of plywood and suitably waterproofed.

Well I can't get it into my existing darkroom by that much, as Max would say. So I reluctantly let it go.

It is advertised in the Photographic Trader number 133 on page 18. The issue should hit the newsagents possibly this week, I'm a subscriber.

It is 2440mm wide x 720mm long x 160mm high and has an extra 100mm splash back on the rear.

It is on an MDF custom made cupboard, which will be going with the sink if you purchased it.

The photographer selling it built it about 15 years ago. It would be perfect, and I mean perfect, for any darkroom.

Even if I remove the door jam, I miss out by 50mm. Removing a wall to get this in, would incur the wrath of the missus.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mick, I'll keep an eye out for it in Phototrader. Mmmm, I may have to revise my floor plan.
    Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve:

I totally agree with you, but:

Twelve years ago, when I built my darkroom, I installed one of those cartridge water filters under the sink. I also had two water shutoffs, (one inside, one outside) because I just wasn’t all that convinced I was that good of a plumber. I would leave the water off unless I was actually working in the darkroom. For about 9 years, I didn’t do that much.

For the last 3 years, though, I’ve been in a bit of a photo rebirth, and been in the room a lot more. I had even gotten brave enough to leave the water on all the time, and without incident.

What I had not ever done, in 12 years, was change out the cartridge in the filter! I had tried once, and the housing was screwed on so tight, it didn’t wish to be removed, so I had left “well enough” alone. However, in recent months, I had noticed that the water had an odor when I first turned on a faucet, but just long enough for the pipes to flush out, and then it was fine. Ah hah! It’s that filter I reasoned.

Well I was right, and this past weekend I managed to get the filter housing open and replaced the all but disintegrated yet stinking cartridge. No more smell, and everything looked good. I spent Saturday developing film, and Sunday evening printing.

When I got home from work on Monday, I went out to the darkroom to look at the dry prints. The darkroom was silent, of course (no stereo, fans or wash water) except for a “drip-drip-drip-drip …”

Oh S***!!!

I reached under the sink to the shelf under the filter, and sure enough, it’s wet. Doesn’t seem too bad though. I immediately shut the water off (that’s the easy part …). So, I pull the stuff off of the shelf right around the filter. Not too bad. Then I look at the floor. OH S***!!! It’s standing water the entire length of the 8' sink underneath. The sheet vinyl is soaked and all crinkled up and all of the boxes and things on the floor under the sink (“long-term storage”) have wicked up all this water.

As it turned out, all I lost is the sheet vinyl and a few cardboard boxes. One box had plastic trays and they’re not hurt, for instance, but the box is toast. (Wet, soggy toast.)

Time to remodel. I’ve been thinking about making some configuration changes, maybe add a cabinet on the dry side, maybe get a bigger “dorm” refrigerator for film, move some faucets, re-do some electrical, etc. But, that was all too much trouble. Now that I've spent the last two evenings taking everything out of the darkroom, it is time. I won’t do all of the possible changes, but I’m going to give it some thought and do a few things. If only I could make the room bigger. If nothing else, the room will get a good cleaning!

(and the filter will NOT be re-installed)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    Hi Greg,
    My previous darkroom was a similar setup, a shed 20 m from the house with no running water. Just use a bucket with water when printing and bring them into the house for the proper wash later.

I too use the bucket technique. It works just fine.

David.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My darkroom is the basement utility/laundry/furnace room. I didn't build anything and keep things simple. Just blacked out the windows and put up a safelight. I use a single tray when making a single print. No special sink...just the utility sink. No special washer. Just running water in a tray. If I'm feeling lucky, I might wash 2 RC prints at a time (always 1 FB print at a time).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin