Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 733

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It can be done. I do not have running water in my printing area. I have to move prints to my bathroom to wash. It is not ideal, and it is a bit of a hassle, but works fine. I also process film in the bathroom.

When I was in Yellowstone one summer, I bootlegged a darkroom in my quarters. I held prints in a tray until morning, and washed everything in the shower the next day.

My biggest problem is that I cannot easily print during the day, due to light leaks. I can place something in front of the leaky sliding door if I *need* to print during the day, but it has to be something big, and has to be moved every time I go out to the bathroom to wash prints.

So, I would worry more about getting everything light tight more than being away from running water. Also, it helps if you rent, so you are not paying for all the water you will use!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-29-2008 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have built several over the last 32 years and a few had garden hoses hooked to the darkroom sink that I would unroll and connect to the house water and a drain pipe I would screw together and run to the laundry room floor drain when in use. I took a few extra minutes to set up and take down but it worked well.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am glad to have found this thread. Both my wife and I miss darkroom B/W printing, which we did at various times before we had children.

Well, we own our own home now, and we have a detached garage, and we're thinking of building the darkroom into that building, in part because we don't want to risk any chemical contamination of our house.

I think we're going to do the garden hose trick for plumbing, too. I could probably even make a sump for drainage, but I need to do a little more research on whether I really want photography chemicals hitting a sump, even if it is back behind my garage and not in the vegetable garden.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well the good news on my new darkroom is that having got the house (yay!) it turns out after pulling up a wooden cover I already have cold water and a drain in the area I'm planning for darkroom . (Being a 'lean-to', one wall used to be an outside wall - so I've found the old garden tap & drain.)

Anyone have any recommendations on a small electric water heater? I do a fair bit of E6, so one which can be carefully controlled temperature wise would be good...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin