Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,880   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkrooms not yet extinct

Yes, it is 2008 and I'm planning to build a darkroom. I think my best option is to build it in one corner of my double colour bond garage. However, this is some 20 metres away from the house and has no water or drainage.
    I plan on insulating the room as it gets quite warm in summer. I will only be doing B&W. I could probably run a temporary cold water line to the shed using garden fittings. Does anyone have a similar setup who can provide some feedback or comments on the practicality of working with no or cold running water only?
    Regards
    Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day blue

due to changes of address i've built myself 9 darkrooms over the years, they were of various sizes, corners of garages, walk in wardrobes, un-used rooms, partitioned off rooms, were ever i could find the space, none had running water

the most important aspect for me has always been to have a permanent darkroom that is always ready to use, the least important thing has always been running water

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom is an old cold-room from a pub, with the holes patched up and no refridgeration unit. No running water as of yet, and I walk back and forth to a garden tap with a jug to get what I need. I used a kettle to get my chemicals up to temperature. It's not perfect, but doesnt stop me getting work done...not fun work in winter though.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've converted my two car garage into a 9x14' darkroom and then rest is a studio.

I had to have water put in and that was the most expensive part of the conversion.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom is above the garage - a separate building from the house. The water runs off the line that goes to the vegetable garden. I too use a kettle for warm or hot water. I have buckets under the sink that I carry to the house for dumping. The darkroom is insulated and is usable except when it stays below freezing for any length of time - though I might have to run the heater a good while before getting to work. It's the most luxurious darkroom I've ever had - I couldn't exactly swing a cat (why would I want to?) but someone can come in and watch, or be taught something, without having to stand on my feet, or do a do-si-do with me as I move from enlarger to trays; and it has running water, albeit cold.
    It is also very special in that when we bought this place my wonderful husband built the darkroom for me before he turned the carport below it into a garage for his vintage car. That's true love!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whats the car?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Greg,
    My previous darkroom was a similar setup, a shed 20 m from the house with no running water. Just use a bucket with water when printing and bring them into the house for the proper wash later.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hopefully I pick up the keys to my new house on Tuesday (fingers firmly crossed...) First job is starting work on the darkroom, which is going to be in the 'lean to' outside the kitchen. The wall of it is brick (good) and since the inner wall is the outside wall of the kitchen, I'm hoping getting water & drainage in shouldn't involve much more than a bit of drilling and some plumbing. The most expensive part of the job is going to be getting the roof replaced - transparent corrugated plastic doesn't strike me as the most useful ceiling for a darkroom .

Getting me in some connections for hot, cold & drainage, and the roof, are the two jobs I'm going to get professionals in to do - the rest I'm hoping to do myself. Building a workbench/sink/print drying rack are going to be my first carpentry projects since leaving school so it could take me a while .

The really good news is that hopefully once this nightmare of housemoving is actually over I might even be able to get back up to date with my horrifically late print exchange prints... (Hell, I might even have a chance to open the ones I've received... <sigh>. Take my advice: Don't move house, ever...)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Greg,

I have a Darkshed about 30ft from the house

I've run a couple of hoses for drainage and cold water supply, all are hidden in the flower beds of the garden, just make sure your drainage drops constantly on it's way to a drain and you should be fine. A kettle and small heater are all else thats needed. The hose pipes make for a cheap solution

good luck

Marcus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Getting me in some connections for hot, cold & drainage, and the roof, are the two jobs I'm going to get professionals in to do - the rest I'm hoping to do myself.
    You have obviously thought about this yourself but I always recommend that people try to do their own plumbing. When they seem hesitant, I ask "what is the worst thing that can happen?". My answer is that you might get wet.

I would do it all myself as I object strongley to paying someone to do something which I can do.

Perhaps you can keep the transparent roof but dye it red!

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin