Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,939   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I did the "quarter" test with Bergger paper and it seemed to show slight fogging at around 5 or 6 minutes with anything but red filters. Ilford seems fine with OC.

Not a very scientific test but I switched to those cheap red bulbs in ordinary fixtures when printing Bergger.

Michael McBlane

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am using a Thomas and it has shown me that I am safe under 10 minutes. Still, I like to have the vanes closed and so far no fogging.

lee\c

Well I'm holding one of the inserts. What Forte calls a technical sheet. To quote

"Safelight:
    Red safelight. (OC and greenish-yellow filters are not recommended as they may cause fogging)"

Now I guess things like how long the light is on and how far it is make a difference but red tends to be safer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I ran out of Wood/PVC glue on the weekend, so I had to order more. Bummer. I should have it tomorrow, which will allow me to finish the sinks.

In the meantime, I started working on a light trap for the window. Since this is a (relatively) new house, it was easy to build a frame to fit into the recessed window space. Then, inside the frame I built a series of four slots, into which 1/4" plywood sheets can slide. Bingo, instant light trap. Even with the panels unpainted (they will be painted flat black), and with only two of the four panels in place, it cuts out most of the light. There are a few light leaks around the edges, but those can be covered with either tape, or foam.

Ah, progress.....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken:

Another option for general room ilumination, is a 24" flourescent lamp with a Doran/Premier safelight sleeve over the tube. Their brown, dark OC color is ok with variable contrast papers. The shadowless light coming from the 24" long bulb is wonderful in a darkroom, most of which are traditionally lit like a coal mine with a few puddles of dull glowlight here and there.

If you use it for general room light, it would probably be at least 5' from your enlarger or processing area, and should't cause any fogging (test, first, of course). I have two of them in my 12'x14' darkroom, and have never had fogging in the 15+ years of using them.

For inspection and local safelight, I hang some good 'ol Kodak beehive lights on footswitches. Put any color filter you want in them (a green #3 for developing by inspection, a red for those Forte papers, a diffused white for print evaluation, etc.).

I also have a Thomas, but it's outside in my windowless finishing area. It throws some light throught the darkroom door, which I leave open when printing. Those Thomas saflights will give you sunburn, I can't get used to that much light when I'm composing on the easel.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My sinks are all plywood. The only sink I ever bought was a 5' pvc sink that I used in my apartment in CT. I could only work at night. My kitchen was my darkroom. The work table and enlarger was set up on one wall. The sink was placed on top of the stove with the garden hose drain into the sink. Working with 11x14 trays was challanging to say the least.

All my other sinks are home made from 1/2" exterior plywood, finished on both sides. I used resin to seal them up, the kind used for surfboards. You can buy pigments if you want colors.

One thought, the light over your sink that you use to judge the exposure of your prints should be of low intensity. If it is too high, you will over print. I use a 60 watt bounced off the cieling. Wet prints ideally should be dried before making determination. Keep a blow drier handy.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also use the Thomas. It is about 8 feet from the easel and usually have the closest vane mostly closed. The light is really bright for a darkroom but I have not experienced and fogging. However I have not tried Forte papers, using mostly Kodak and Ilford multicontrast papers. I have also used the Thomas with the vanes closed for color printing without obvious ill effect.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just a quick status update, for those who (still) care :-)

Had the plumber in yesterday, and we worked on getting the two sinks hooked up to the drain, as well as bringing in water. The drains are done (and very neatly done, as well), and the water is *just* about done.

Turns out we ran out of 90 deg. elbows, and the hardware store was closed by that time, so we couldn't finish the job. Bummer, that. I'm going to pick up a few more elbows tonite (more than I need!), which will allow us to finish the job.

The Intellifaucet is all hooked up as well, with water wired into it. Can't test it out, however, until I get the water to the tables setup.

Soon. Very soon.

Cheers all!
    Cheers!

-klm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin