Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,127   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For the last few weeks, I've been constructing a new darkroom in my house. My house is completely finished, so I didn't really have any space I could take and build a darkroom, so I evicted myself from my office, and started turning it into a darkroom.

The space is about 12' x 16', with a closet for storage. As the room previously had carpet, I decided to rip out the carpet, and lay tile, ala the rest of my house. I have a heated basement floor (I live in Canada), so warmth will not be an issue in the winter.

There was also no plumbing in the bedroom (!), so I'm putting that in as well. Water will be brought in from my (really) small darkroom next door, and a proper drain will be installed, via tapping into the bathroom sink drain on the other side of a shared wall.

I've ordered a Haas Intellifaucet, and am currently working on two sinks, one 12', and the other 8'. For those of you who have taken Bruce Barnbaum's workshop at his house in Washington, my sinks are constructed in the same way as his: wood boxes (plywood for mine, his was made with particle board), and lined with PVC sheets. The PVC sheeting was quite expensive, but will make an impervious barrier.

A friend-of-a-friend is a plumber, and he'll be coming in next week to run all the plumbing for the sinks, and the incoming water, for a case o' beer - gotta love that, expecially since I'll be helping him drink it :-D

I still need to determine safe-lighting, and what to use, but I'll get that figured out next week as well. Unfortuantely, my other darkroom is out of commission right now, as it's being used for storage while I'm constructing the other darkroom; I therefore haven't printed for almost a month now. Ick.

I'll continue posting to this thread as I go along, just in case anyone else is interested.

Cheers all!

-ken.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that's great! I'm both happy and jealous. Any chance of some photos of the work in progress and at the end stage?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'll see what I can whip up....I do have the technology, it's just a question of time :-)
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yup, I know.

Problem with OC safelights is that they fade over time; that, and the fact that the filters are stupid expensive makes me want to find another solution. But, OC filters (and the housing) can be had for cheap on eBay. It's just a question of how safe (faded) they are.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I actually painted my darkrooms ceiling and walls deep red so any fade or change is odsorbed by the room. My veiwing area is medium to dark grey so I don't have red reflections when trying to make print adjustments. Having a red room really brightens the room believe it or not. sounds crazy but it works really well.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

The OC filters are the ones supposedly for VC paper? If they are then they aren't safe with Forte's VC paper. They recomend red which should be safe for all B&W.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After working in color processing a LOT, I've become accustomed to working without a safelight, in total darkness - well, see below.

I do have the JOBO - what is it called - "Maxi-Light" (???? don't quote me on that one) that operates with Light Emitting Diodes. Wall mounted, with three dial-in filters - one dedicated to "color". The thing has a MTBF of something like forever - and I can't see where ANY fading would take place.

It may not be the brightest - I haven't tried reading a newspaper with it ... but then again, how many people choose safelights for reading newspapers?

Light leaks - After my eyes have become acclimated, I can see a few - well, more than a few - light leaks in my darkroom. I've tested: first by setting up my ColorStar 3000 to the most sensitive density possible and attepting to read indicated exposure - turned out to be nada - nothing but blinking indicators - therefore more that 999 seconds; and by setting my Gossen UltraPro to the highest ISO speed 800,000 (DIN 60), setting the aperture to "wide open" - f/0.7, and again, a blinking display indicating "Out of Range" (and that puppy will read to eight [8] hours).

After all that, I don't think I have to worry much about fogging film.

One question, though ... Why do I always wear my glasses when I load film into the tanks in total darkness?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    For the last few weeks, I've been constructing a new darkroom in my house...
    A friend-of-a-friend is a plumber, and he'll be coming in next week to run all the plumbing for the sinks, and the incoming water, for a case o' beer - gotta love that, expecially since I'll be helping him drink it :-D
    Could I suggest that you have the plumbing done BEFORE the beer drinking?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use the Zone VI safelight that is marketed by Calumet. This uses leds rather then filters. I have used this in processing both Seagull VCFB and Classic Polywarmtone VC with no problem of paper fogging. This light does have a switch to alter the light output for graded and VC materials.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin