Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,452   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need new scale

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I got me a RCBS gun powder digital scale, this one worked for both the darkroom and reloading ammo.
    No!!! You do that too!!.
    Yep, you kidding I used to love going shooting, did mostly handgun and clay pigeon, sadly guns in Mexico are hard to have, many permits and stuff and is not wort the trouble.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Yep, you kidding I used to love going shooting, did mostly handgun and clay pigeon, sadly guns in Mexico are hard to have, many permits and stuff and is not wort the trouble.
    The Permit process is not easy here in Massachusetts, either. I've been a Certified NRA Fireams Instructor for well over twenty years, and recently was certified by the Massachusetts State Police. Even so, I had to wait four (4) months after applying to *renew* my License to Carry Firearms - and that required being fingerprinted again, new photographs, references, and a whole new criminal record - background check.

Anyway ... I just realized how acurate these powder scales are - reading to 0.1 *grain* and there are 15 grains to the gram. That is .008 gram ...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two digital scales. One accurate to the nearest gram and the other to the nearest 0.1 gram. I use a little weight calibration set to ensure accuracy in the scales. The only problem with a penny is that the weights changed over the years seeing as how they aren't made of copper anymore. Pennies after 1985 or somewhere around there are actually copper plated zinc. Seems copper was too expensive...
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lol...yea i was pretty sure the year was wrong. We did experiments with them as well in high school. We'd hold them in a bunsen burner with a set of tongs until the penny would start to disfigure, then would tap the penny on the counter so that the molten zinc would splash out. Pretty cool thing to do, but not too smart now that I think about it. Molten zinc really isn't something you'd want to pop on you :-)
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I work for a scale company so I can use my samples - $3000 worth of automation. I measure out chemicals in lots - ten kits at a time and seal them in indusrial plastic bags. The scale is calibrated and accurate to .01 gram and the scale operates a hopper with a vibratory feeder and will fill each bag within a few seconds. It is really a nice perk because I'd probably look for an old double beam balance or have to spend several hundred on a cheap precision bench scale. - If I was looking - I would try to find one that is no mre than 500 grams capacity - A decent load cell can support 10,000 divisions (ours will do over 30,000) - that would give .05 gram resolution and you can mix a liter of almost anything with 500 grams capacity. - Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a digital scale capable of accuracy to .1 gram. It has a 400 gram maximum capacity and is adequate to all of my needs with the exception of 1 gallons of fixer. In that case I divide the thiosulfate into 3 batches.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have been using an old Pelouze scale (Balanced Beam). It is as accurate as the weights it came with. It is a pretty cheap scale (stamped brass and aluminium) but works a charm. I have seen them on EBay go very cheaply.

It is OK up to 50 grams, after that you need to measure in batches. The pans are a little small. But it works for me just fine.

- Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    I work for a scale company . - Frank
    So that explains why you are so evenly balanced

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin