Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,711   Online: 910

GDI

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Phototherm Experiences w/Different Film?

Is there any available source for developing times of different films for a Phototherm? The manual has a few films listed, but for example Pan F is listed as "not recommended" with no times.

I have been going to The Massive Dev Chart and comparing to Tri-X and adjusting from there - is there a better way?

Thanks

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Charts are only recommendations for starting times/temperatures, you need to establish your own chart by experimentation with your equipment and materials - trial and error method by adjusting only one variable at a time - or you'll become frustrated in no time. Once you have it right, it's smooth sailing from there on.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When i use my phototherm, I need 20-30% less time then the given on the massive dev chart.
    I then i dial it in from there. Remember the phototherm uses Tmax 1:5 so find the film in tmax and gestimate from there. It usually works for me!
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Couldn't you just use "rotary processing" times found on the film manufacturer's data sheet, assuming the film is still being made?

GDI

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks all...

I have been trying to use relative timings and I think that is as good as I can do. I don't think the rotary processing times always line up with the suggestions from the phototherm. BTW, I use the recommended T-Max in mine as well.

Regarding the Pan F, I have tried a few rolls and they look pretty good, but a bit thin, so I'll try upping the time a bit.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @PVia, @GDI's experience mirrors mine. I use a Jobo ATL-1500 (constant rotary agitation, can't vary speed) and always start with the "rotary tube" agitation recommendations when available; I find that I'm almost always decreasing my times by another 10-15% from those, which are themselves shorter than the "small tank" times the manufacturers publish.

It may have something to do with the Jobo's 5 min presoak; or who knows? Just shows that test, test, test is the mantra.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    GDI,

You can also try to dilute the Tmax dev 1:6 and increase the time. I haven't tried it but it should give you more leeway in the dev time. The rotary tube timings arent really optimized for the phototherm agitation and chems.
    I have also been using the pre soak with excellent results. Without it, the negs were never consistent and i got a lot of air bels with the 4x5 tubes.
    -ian mazursky nyc

GDI

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Ian - have you tried the new T-Max in the Sidekick yet? It calls for a lot less time than the old formula according to the MassDev chart.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Not yet. Im working through tons of trix, era, hp5.....
    I would call phototherm. They are the nicest people to work with. They may have an idea.
    -ian mazursky nyc

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin