Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,340   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cassette Opener

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    The only caveat to the leader retriever method is to make sure the cassette felt is clean. You will be pulling the film back across it again and so if it has sand or grit (ever drop a cassette in the dirt... very bad scene) you run the risk of scratching some or all of the film.
    That is true but fairly uncommon. The scratching on the exit slot is often mentioned however, the film has already passed through the slot twice in the camera and possibly once in production (not quite sure how they are loaded despite an Ilford tour last year!).

I don't think I have ever had scratches caused this way.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Am I the only one who just tears the can open? I put my thumbs in at the felt and pull it apart then pop one end off and the spool falls into my hand.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I second (or how ever many) the church key.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That is true but fairly uncommon. The scratching on the exit slot is often mentioned however, the film has already passed through the slot twice in the camera and possibly once in production (not quite sure how they are loaded despite an Ilford tour last year!).

I don't think I have ever had scratches caused this way.

Steve.
    Your camera is moving the film in a very precise way, pulling it out yourself can potentially crease or damage the film.

I too just rip the cannister open with my thumb when I can't find my 1980s London flat metal key ring film opening thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bare hands.

"I will be merciful and quick", The Gorn

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Stubborn factory loads get a pry with a gizmo I got once for free at a paint store. Bottle opener on one end and a miniature pry bar on the other. I guess they wanted me to paint with a beer buzz (to sell more paint maybe). But it works great on stubborn 35mm rolls.
    Wow, I got a kick out of this because I use the same tool. My darkroom is in the basement and I have a workbench on the other side of one wall. I needed an opener one day and this paint can opener/bottle opener was hanging on a peg above the workbench and was the closest one. Now when I open a paint can I have to retrieve it from the darkroom!
    Steve O.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can open reloads by hand, and I use scissors[opened, and use the edge to pry it off] for the factory rolled.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the "good ol' days" before they crimped them semi-permanently I would hold the cartridge in the fingers and bang the long end of the spool on the table, popping the end off. Nowadays, I use a pair of heavy diagonal cutters, grab the rim (of end without spool extension) on one side with the cutting edges, and with a twist, roll the end cap off. (You won't reload it after that however.) Initially, the electrician-sized dikes were the first tool I stumbled across in the workshop that looked like it could work.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stubborn factory loads get a pry with a gizmo I got once for free at a paint store. Bottle opener on one end and a miniature pry bar on the other. I guess they wanted me to paint with a beer buzz (to sell more paint maybe).
    If the "gizmo" is what I think it is, the "bottle opener" end is actually intended to be used to close the paint can, rather than using a hammer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin