Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,746   Online: 908

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cassette Opener

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Cassette Opener

Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Frankly, I just use an old church key (bottle/can opener).

Paul

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I haven't used either of those, but an ordinary bottle opener works fine, and you probably already have one in your kitchen drawer.....if not, pick one up for $0.25 at the next yard sale you pass.
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, both of those seem like a lot of work for a simple process.

Re-loads and most factory loads I can open just by holding the cartridge near where the spool sticks out and pressing down on the spool with my thumb. Factory loads need more pressure but more than 50% of the time I can get them to pop.

Stubborn factory loads get a pry with a gizmo I got once for free at a paint store. Bottle opener on one end and a miniature pry bar on the other. I guess they wanted me to paint with a beer buzz (to sell more paint maybe). But it works great on stubborn 35mm rolls.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I never bother opening the cartridges. Just wind the film back and leave a leader out (or use an Ilford leader retriever).
    Load the reel from the cartridge and tear off at the end.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I never bother opening the cartridges. Just wind the film back and leave a leader out (or use an Ilford leader retriever).
    Load the reel from the cartridge and tear off at the end.

Steve.
    Good advice all, thanks. I thought about the leader retriever too since it has other uses.

For now the church key sounds good.

Enjoy the fireworks tonight.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With really stubborn cartridges, I hold the cartridge in my fist with the spool end sticking out, and slam it hard on the desk, floor, wall or whatever. Any hard flat surface will do. This always makes the end pop off.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good day all

I have an old Nikor cassette opener I got when I got some reals on eBay, it looks like the first generation of the Kaiser. It works really well, I use to use the bottle opener, but when I got the Nikor I tried it and have never looked back it works well. I have never had a stubborn cassette!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    I make my own leader retrievers. Just cut a strip of thin plastic but fairly stiff plastic about 15mm wide ans about 80 mm long then stick a strip of double sided adhesive tape down the middle.
    To use remove the backing from the double sided tape and with the tape down push into the cassette while turning the spool as though winding the film into the cassette.

The back of the leader will stick to the tape and can now be pulled out with ease.

The thin plastic I used was black, I would not use clear as it could act as a light guide and cause fogging.
    You may be able to use thin card rather than plastic, not tried it but should work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only caveat to the leader retriever method is to make sure the cassette felt is clean. You will be pulling the film back across it again and so if it has sand or grit (ever drop a cassette in the dirt... very bad scene) you run the risk of scratching some or all of the film.

Many ways to skin this cat!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin