Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,904   Online: 934

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

I just realised that I posted in a wrong forum

I will be using my camera mainly for fashion work which requires front+rear swing and tilt. It looks like the Shen Hao can do that just fine but since I have experience with LF, knowing how much is sufficient is not that possible.

For the lens, I feel a 210mm would suit me well. The Fujinon have image circle that is generous but again, I don't know how much is enough. I'm getting paid for shooting portrait so I can pay a little bit more...just to get it right in the first place. I can afford Sinar, Linhof but frankly I would prefer supporting more innovative underdogs than paying vast money. Does anyone know about the Walker Titan SF? The only thing I know is that it offers nothing more than the Shen Hao (maybe build quality)...yet I feel like Walker is another underdog that offers great value in the long run...I'm intrigued.
    Thanks
    fotologue.jp/fleetwoodjazz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember if you focus closer then infinity the lens image circle grows. But even at infinity a 210mm image circle is fairly large for 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwoodjazz View Post
    I will be using my camera mainly for fashion work which requires front+rear swing and tilt. It looks like the Shen Hao can do that just fine but since I have experience with LF, knowing how much is sufficient is not that possible.
    I guess I'm just at a loss to imagine what kind of fashion shot -involving models- that you will be doing that would require swings and tilts. Do you have any kind of example or link you could post to illustrate what you have in mind?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    I know nothing much about LF since I am new. My fashion work will involve selective focus and if I read correctly, tilt and swing are needed to control focusing plane. Please correct me if I was wrong.
    Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Or to put it correctly, I don't want my images to be in sharp focus from corner to corner. This can be done easily with my medium format gear, the whole point of me flirting around with LF is to have full control blur and sharp areas and that is how I am really concern with movement.
    Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    r. This can be done easily with my medium format gear,
    How do you do it with MF? You aren't using movements.

You may find it hard to get enough DOF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is skew still fashionable ? I thought that was done.

Anyway, using longer lenses generally makes it easier to isolate subjects by focus.
    Since larger film needs longer lenses, larger film gives more focus isolation.

The image will be the same with a 210 on 6x7 as it would on 4x5, you just get more
    context to the image... and for shooting people, that is the best way to think about it

When you start swinging and tilting and all that, you multiply the difficulty of the shot,
    and stop shooting life... everything becomes a tabletop.

There are MANY things you'll have to learn to be able to make consistently
    good pictures with a 4x5... using a simple camera, like a Crown, as a box camera.
    Adding the countless variables takes even longer.

The wisdom of the ages suggests, humbly, that you begin with a simple camera
    and when you've got THAT under control, say, in a year or so, you'll know what
    you need, and have the experience to begin using it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    You will find the Shen Hao to be a very versatile and useful camera. The longer bellows is an advantage for portraits.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the whole point of me flirting around with LF [for fashion shoots] is to have full control blur and sharp areas and that is how I am really concern with movement. Cheers
    For that you want a camera with _back_ swings and tilts. You can do it with front movements if you have shift and rise but it is a PITA.

Back movements on most field cameras are limited to non-existent. Front movements aren't much to write home about either.

You can pick up a respectable used monorail for not much money, certainly a lot less than what is usually asked for a field camera. A standard Calumet, Sinar F or Graphic View II [among many, many others] would do fine for this purpose. Sinars are the easiest ones to find accessories for.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know nothing much about LF since I am new. My fashion work will involve selective focus and if I read correctly, tilt and swing are needed to control focusing plane. Please correct me if I was wrong.
    Cheers
    No offense intended, but are you trying to emulate the Lensbaby fad?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin