Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,326   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Development tank for 8x10"

I have a small tank for developing 6 sheets of 4x5". I am looking for something similar, just for 8x10" film.
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I found my 8x10 1 gallon tanks on e-bay. Actually I use 3800ml in mine and do normal and minimal agitation with mine. You can get 5 sheets in the tanks and they are stainless steel. I usually do four sheets at a time. Easier to handle. It is rare if I have a development problem. Use them with Pyrocat-HD and love them. They come up from time to time. Keep an eye on the German site for them.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a slightly modified paterson orbital - originally for paper. you can do 4 sheets of 4x5, 2 5x7 or 1 8x10 in it. 3800ml! good grief - the orbital takes about 250mls. given it only does 1 sheet at a time, but that suits me anyway with 8x10.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would like to do 6-10 sheets at a time. I have some old Kodak tanks that take all kinds of formats. But I have no 5x7 or 8x10 stainless holders. I only have for 24x35mm, 120 film and 4x5 sheets. The tank will take at least 30 4x5" in holders with 10 at a time. They are a little to large for my "darkroom"
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    I would like to do 6-10 sheets at a time. I have some old Kodak tanks that take all kinds of formats. But I have no 5x7 or 8x10 stainless holders. I only have for 24x35mm, 120 film and 4x5 sheets. The tank will take at least 30 4x5" in holders with 10 at a time. They are a little to large for my "darkroom"
    I have an old Kodak rubber (I think it's rubber - not sure) 8x10 tank (no lid) and some Kodak 5x7 stainless holders. I can email you pictures if you like later today.

How many 5x7 stainless holders are you interested in?

Diane
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There "were" some stainless steel 1 gallon tanks made that would take 3 or 4 8x10 SS film hangers, but the most common "tank" for developing moderate quantities of sheet film up to 8x10 is the 3.5 gallon "deep" tank. Kodak made several models, and Cesco had their Cesco-lite ones. These tanks have lids, and are designed to be kept full of chemicals. You would need 4 tanks...Developer, Stop, Fix, and Wash. These types of tanks can take up to about 12 film hangers at once, if you can handle that many at once in the dark. So you could develop up to 12 sheets of 8x10, or with double 5x7 hangers, you could do 24 sheets of 5x7, or with quadruple 4x5 hangers you could do 48 sheets of 4x5 in one processing run. You choose a developer that has a long "tank" life, and one that can be replenished after each use to extend the life. HC-110 is one such developer.

The wash tank does double-duty as a water pre-soak tank prior to the developer. After the film is in the fix for a minute or two, you turn on the lights, dump presoak water and rinse the wash tank out and start filling with wash water.
    Last edited by PHOTOTONE; 07-07-2008 at 09:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 9circles View Post
    I use a slightly modified paterson orbital - originally for paper. you can do 4 sheets of 4x5, 2 5x7 or 1 8x10 in it. 3800ml! good grief - the orbital takes about 250mls. given it only does 1 sheet at a time, but that suits me anyway with 8x10.
    The great thing about using Pyrocat-HD is that the developer is cheap and gives great control and results.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jobo expert drum and manual roller base is about as convenient and chemical efficient as it gets for doing batches of 8x10.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 9circles View Post
    I'm with you there, but 250ml is a bit extravagant. I use 200ml of Precsysol.

As for six or more sheets, what about a couple of small plastic fish tanks, dip and dunk?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll also tick the Paterson Orbital box, I use 150ml of chemistry for 4 sheets of 5x4. Slow to process 10x8 with only one sheet at a time.

I've also a Jobo 3005 expert drum, this will process up to 5 sheets of 10x8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paterson orbital.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin