Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,536   Online: 949

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7x17 Shooters

Shooter
    Large Format
    For the negs, I've been getting by with using the empty film boxes (2 makes 3). For prints, though, haven't yet come up with good solution. I normally print on 10X20 watercolor paper with an alt process.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    At one time Hollinger made a 17.5 inch L x 6 inch wide x 7.5 inch high box for 7x17 film. I have one full. They claim they switched to the 2 inch high version or flat storage because of customer demand. I much prefer storing the negatives on edge rather than flat. When full the 7.5 inch height size does get a little heavy. My guess is that customers using larger size film were the source of complaint. Maybe if enough 7x17 shooters asked they would go back. I don't know if we are a significant voice. I would doubt it.

I have been told that the film box method of storage is not archival. At age 68 I am not sure that is a problem for me. It may matter more to people who have made plans for their negatives after the artist is gone.

If we find a source for boxes that let us store the film on edge I am interested. The number of boxes will depend on how many sheets of film and interleaved archival paper they hold.

John Powers.
    Last edited by jp80874; 07-08-2008 at 10:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I like the Hollinger boxes for negatives. I think there is too much difference in the size of paper upon which people print and boards upon which they mount to consider a standard size box. I do not permanently mount prnts which makes it much easier to store them in flat files and/or boxes.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Steve,

John (a die hard Yankees fan)
    That's a shame!

Red Sox are religion
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin