Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,547   Posts: 1,544,523   Online: 1040

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I like black behind the enlarger and everything else white. When the white lights are on to view prints I don't want colored walls tinting the light.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I painted mine white, with flat black surrounding the enlarger. It was the right choice. The enlarger, at least mine does, spills quite a bit of light and every little bit helps. I made a little skirt of black construction paper to go around the join of lamphouse and negative stage to control it a little better.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mine is also white, with a semi-gloss finish that is easily wiped.

Around my sink area I glued a large piece of medium grey Formica. Its very easy to clean and stands up to all the chemistry I use.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    A great thing to cover your walls with is "Frost White Board" It is the same coated 1/8 in masonite that some dry erase boards are made of. It comes in 4X8 sheets. Just cut to fit and you can make notes on your walls and erase as needed and it stands up to chemicals.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ive never worked in a pro lab with white walls. Enlargers and Neg carriers do have a habit of small light leaks if an exposure is particularly long light will bounce more off a white wall and cause base fogging in your material than a chalk board black wall. Also when printing 50 inch murals long exposures with white walls just wont work. white walls just arnt as good as black walls, my old associate wanted white walls, He said if the walls are white you can read newspapwer print in the darkroom! under safe light. I told him if hes reading newspapers and not printing he can piss off.

~Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not necessarily true, Stephen. An awful lot really depends on the room layout, etc... white is really great at making room lighting (and safelighting) more efficient and easier to see what you're doing. As long as there's no white within about the lens-to-paper distance of the paper, one should be safe. It really depends though. That's why I like my walls painted 'safelight yellow' - any reflected light is far less dangerous - but you can see half-decently.

The other thing I'd remark on is that just because a lab (or any entity) is 'pro' - it doesn't mean they have any idea what they're doing... in my experience anyway...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd add to the general discussion - that I think it's probably far more important that the paint around the enlarger be as matte as possible (something like velvet being fairly close to ideal) since specular highlights reflected (even off black paint) can be lethal to your print, since it doesn't lose much in intensity as it glances off the surface. Diffuse reflected light is far less of a threat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well possibly 5 pro labs in sydney didnt know what they were doing. But having been involved in a comparative test ive seen the difference when it comes to horizontal enlargers white rooms and fuji crystal archive paper during mural printing and long exposures. Maybe it Isnt so critical for small scale black and white printers. im curious to hear from other pro lab owners or technitians as to what their darkrooms were coated black or white and is anyone here who prints colour murals using white walls? or anyone who prints large or with long exposures 1 minute and above using white walls?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably go with black walls for confined space with colour materials for sure... I think we were talking about personal small rooms for B&W...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I could have been more specific in my original post. The darkroom will be approximately 9.5 ft by 15 ft with a 10ft ceiling. Thomas safe light. Enlargers (Zone VI 5X7 and Durst 1200 Laborator) along one of the short walls and sink on opposite short wall. I'm thinking black right around the enlargers and white on the other end. I am most interested in kind of paint, rather than colors, although the color discussion has been helpful. Perhaps I could use green board around the sink if that can be used in conjuction with sheet rock and assuming it will hold paint. Bill Barber

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin