Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,651   Online: 671

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow, I must be growing some of Aggie's blonde
    I feel quite dumb, of course it doesn't matter what color the walls are, the light from the safelight will still be red!

oh, well, it will still proabably be red due to the house belonging to my girlfriend and her wanting it red (it's also used as her sewing room and art studio). I think I'll stick with a dark red around the enlarger as that will match better with the red of the room and as I said before, she has crossed black off the list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can always go the black drapery on the wall routine for the enlarger. Or a standalone divider painted black to go behind will work as well. It can be made of cardboard or matboard to keep the cost down if need be. Even better hang a black velvet Elvis picture behind the enlarger.
    Gary Beasley

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thinking of a nice pale orange or red myself. But the Elvis pic sounds good.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the "Velvet Elvis" idea - it's the first time I've heard about a practical use for one!

:P
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mine is all painted flat black. Small light leaks do not bounce around in there and there is no reflection back from stray light from the enlarger. Also - I have learned the hard way about using any kind of hanging cloth - Like Elvis - dust and fibers tend to fall off into the air. My air purifier seems to help with it though.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

If you like black walls and don't like dust accumulation on fabric, you can do what Ctein does in his darkroom. He didn't bother to paint or even build walls, he just hangs heavy black construction plastic. Claims it is the best way as it attracts dust that can be easily washed off. Probably true but I wouldn't want to work in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That wouldn't work well for doing infrared film, the plastic transmits the IR way too easily.
    Gary Beasley

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin