Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,071   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

who has or can describe an Elwood 8x10 diffuser?

Hi:

I am wondering who among the 8x10 Elwood enlarger users here still has the glass diffusion plate in the lamp head, and can confirm my feeling it's placement would be closest to the negative stage. I also suspect the ones that used sheets of ordinary glass for heat absorption placed it above the diffuser.

If you REALLY want to be helpful, a photo or your best description of the approximate diameter of the most heavily blasted/ground region of the diffuser would give me an idea what it looked like (how Elwood accomplished a solution). I've read the Elwood 1929 patent, but think they made a variety of reflectors over the years (parabolic, elliptical and one other, I forgot). They may have made changes over the years too...

I just picked one up. I may try a sheet of opal glass above the negative stage, but am not opposed to trying my own grinding. I have equipment that would allow me to objectively measure luminance on the projection surface, and a densitometer. I know Jim Jones here just stacked sheets of hand ground glass until he was satisfied with the uniformity of illumination he could achieve.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    I got mine without the glass. I had opal glass cut to fit and it has worked well. I have never had heat glass in it but I found a second dome and I am converting it to accept a hose to a ventelation fan to suck out the heat.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Originally the heat absorbing glass laid on the top of the opal diffusion glass. This package rests on the metal ring immediately above the negative carrier.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Pinhole
    OK, I wonder if Jim's opal glass was an Elwood evolution or a field mod...interesting. I was aware of the sandblasted gradient diffuser (by reputation only).

Jim & Rauc, do you use opal or frosted lamps?

Mine came with a 500W opal #302 lamp. I have a box of 300W extended life PS35 lamps, but they are internal frost, not opal.

I may have two different situations to check out given the big difference in the two lamps.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mine is buried in the shed outside until we move to a place in which I have a chance of setting up a darkroom. Although the lens and at least the light bulb are inside our current home.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    While Opal glass will work, it will dramatically reduce the light output. The gradiated sandblasted glass, thick in the middle, tapering off towards the outside is optimum. Heat absorbing glass always closest to the light source, to keep heat away from negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine didn't come with any of the glass pieces. To add to the confusion the drawings in my Elwood parts list show the sand blasted glass located on top of the 3 heat absorbing glass pieces. Glass is shown as 12x12 in. This is for the commercial C-2 model not early wooden ones. As far as bulbs go they recommend 300(150w) or 301(300w) but say that a 302(400w) can be used.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks.

Speaking of construction differences...ChuckP, can you tell which 8x10 model or vintage mine is from a description?

Has 2-piece cast iron hinged vertical part with a 3-hole mounting pattern. The lower half of the lamp head I would guess is a different cast metal because it is not terribly heavy. At the rear of the lamp head is what looks like mahogany. The reflector looks to be parabolic and a hammertone green or khaki (? it's very dirty, hard to be sure). One handwheel for head height and a smaller handwheel for bellows adjustment. Has a 500W opal 302, which could be much newer than the enlarger, so that's not a useful clue.

Rauc-Im: I had a thought about directing heat to a negative dryer, but realized that would only be useful for drying negs at exactly the time the enlarger is running...pretty random chance of that...
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray,
    I had an Elwood similar to what you describe. The diffuser was a stack of 12 sheets of window glass. Very light frosting on the bottom one. The reflector is parabolic and about 22" high without going in the basement and measuring. The head was counterbalanced by a cast iron weight which rested on the back of the column. I could also tilt the enlarger for horizontal projection. I just kept the reflector. The previous owner used it for BW and colour. I did not like it that much as I found prints to be too soft compared to other equipment I had.
    Last edited by richard ide; 07-16-2008 at 10:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addt'l info
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    !

For 3/32 (2.5 mm) glass, that's roughly 17# (7.5 kg) of glass! 22.5#/10.3 kg for 1/8"/3mm glass!

Looks like they did it many ways over the years, I guess changing when an improvement or deficiency was observed.

I wonder if results vary with one's lens of choice. I think this tells me the way to get uniform illumination is the method that works for me. Should I make a signature tagline 'the best diffuser is the one that works for you'? (Nah, maybe not).

Murray
    Murray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin