Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,295   Online: 1209

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Got Cheap enlarger/Need book

OK, I have a cheap enlarger, a TELESAR 4 X 5 condenser job with the proverbial old 211 bulb in the housing. I can't seem to find any info or a manual (a photocopy would be fine) for this thing. All I know about it is that it is Japanese made, with the spring loaded double support arms, and looks like a duke's mixture/hybrid copy of the old Leitz Focomat and B&J Solar enlargers.

In addition to a copy of the manual, I would be interested in accessories for it if anyone has any lying about.

EuGene

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hoo, boy! I must have really come up with an oddball here, as I have had no luck finding anyone who knows anything about it. I've done searches here and on the LF Forum, googled it, and otherwise asked everyone I know about this beast. So far I have found no information about this enlarger. It seems to be a real lost, unloved, and lonely orphan.

I appears that I need to get something to replace it that is known to the rest of the photography world.
    Last edited by B&Jdude; 07-20-2008 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: surgery on spelling and screwy syntax

Shooter
    Large Format
    Unless it has somthing very unusual about it an enlarger is rather straight forward and work like other similar models. As long as it has all the parts there should be little to figure out. If it is short brand specific parts or out of alignment that may be a problem. Try printing before you replace it. If it works and you like it, keep it. If it has problems or you just don't like it, replace it.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I haven't done any darkroom work in about 40 years, instead sending everything to the lab, so my memories of using an enlarger are very weak. As for assembling one that has all the parts wrapped up and packed in a box, I have no memory, as I have never seen the insides of an enlarger.

Anyway, I have just been offered a photocopy of the manual for an early Leitz Focomat condenser enlarger that looks very similar in construction to this Telesar (which might be a copy of the Leitz), so maybe it will help me to get all the parts in the right places when I assemble it.

And, as you said, if it's not all there or it doesn't work for me, I will just get another one . . definately one that is a little more of a mainstream marque rather than this off-brand model.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rather than a manual, you might want to find books or Web sites on general enlarging procedures. They'll describe the basics, and as raucousimages says, unless your enlarger is very weird, you should be able to figure out the details. After all, how many knobs do you have to adjust to figure out which one raises and lowers the head vs. focuses the image vs. changes filtration (if it's got built-in filters)?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yep, I can see where a good lab procedures book will do me a world of good, not only on this enlarger, but on other stuff as well since I haven't been in a lab for 4 decades.

By the way, this thing is too crude to have built in filters . . . instead it has a "swing-out-of-the-way" filter mount outside the body, below the lens. Looks like a nice set-up if you like flare!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    maybee if you can post a pic of the enlarger it may help. it could be similar to one manufactured under a different brand.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Darin, I'll assemble the beast (it's all boxed up), take a picture of it, and have sombody who know something about computers put a picture on this thread. I haven't a clue how to do pictures on a computer.

EuGene

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin