Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,375   Online: 1028

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Graflarger Back - Aristo Light Source Advice

I have just received a Graflarger back with Aristo light source from Ebay for the sum of £0.99 ($2).

I was expecting it not to work and intended to convert it to LED however, it does work so I may keep it as it is for now although I may replace the transformer for one with a 230v primary.

I have measured the AC output of the transformer and when powered up it starts at 580, rises to 650 then drops and stabilises at 630. I have some valve amplifier HT transformers which would give me around 500 - 600 volts so I will probably try one of those.

Can anyone tell me if it will produce light connected directly to 230 volts or does it need a higher voltage to start?

It does not have the negative carrier which isn't a great problem as I have use of a CNC router so I can easily make another one (and options for smaller formats).

If anyone has one of these, I would appreciate it if you could tell me the distance the negative sits from the diffuser and the overall thickness of the holder. I measure the slot at 5.5mm (7/32").

Thanks.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 07-25-2008 at 03:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 'transformer' is also the ballast, and has two functions: raise the voltage; and regulate the current. You can't replace it with a regular HT transformer without getting into a lot of trouble with the lamp - though you could arrange your own ballast. If it is a 115 V Graflarger the easiest solution is to use it with a 230->115V step down transformer. Performance will be a bit different because of the 50 Hz frequency (lamp current will be 17% higher than it should be) but it shouldn't make that much difference.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information. I didn't really want to use it with a step down transformer but since my LPL enlarger is also 110 volt and I already have a transformer, it's not too much of a problem. I didn't realise there was more to it than just a transformer though.

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The negative carrier consists of two aluminum frames that together are just shy of 3/16".

Aristo will still update the bulb, if you want.

Like other old-style cold light heads that don't have a heating circuit, the output of the bulb varies noticably, particularly if you are trying to make lots of prints with a short exposure time, like a batch of postcards. If you don't have a compensating timer like a Metrolux, you might want to use an enlarging lens that can be put in a shutter to control exposure time, or use a black card over the lens, so you can leave the lamp on.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin