Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,475   Online: 971

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OFF topic, I keep reading the title of this thread as "Flirtation and water temp controls..." Sounds like an exciting shower!!!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Ok, I am in the process of setting up a darkroom, and was eyeing a fancy digital water temperature thing out of an old darkroom, but I really don't think I need to spend that much. I have a cold and a hot faucet in the darkroom, and as I am really only going to be doing black and white, I was thinking of connecting these water faucets to a single faucet to mix the hot and cold going into the sink. Then adjust temperature in the sink with the "a little hot a little cold" method.

So my question is: How exact would you like to see water temperatures in a black and white darkroom, and how exact is reasonable? My thought is that 1/2 degree would be nice, but five degrees is reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a processor or tempering bath that takes care of your temp. during development, then running water of +/- 5 degrees is probably fine for washing, mixing chemicals and filling the processor.

If you are using a running-water tempering bath, then it should be +/- 1/2 degree.

If you are doing room temp development, then, again, the tap water only needs to be +/- 5 degrees or so for the wash. You just need a chart for the room-temp. compensation based on the film/developer combo you are using.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    yeah-- that last one....LOL

Actually I have been doing development for some time in the bathroom, but I will now have a dedicated darkroom with a home built 6 ft long sink. I really had not considered running the water under the developer trays. I do use a digital thermometer to check developer temp, and adjust the temp with stainless tanks of either hot water or ice to sit in it. But having a long sink gives other possibilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin