Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,667   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Filtration and water temp controls....

I am finally able to put a water temp and filtration system in my darkroom. I am needing advice on which system works the best. My funds are limited, and my so is my knowledge on this. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "The best zoom lens is your legs"
    Ernst Haas

Shooter
    35mm
    use a thermostatic shower device (crane?) the temp on the thermostat is not exact but you can measure the water temp and make your own scale on the thermostat.
    costs about 60 euro. and you can find it anywhere...
    the advantage is that it is all standard, standard fitings, conection to the water mains... installing it is not that hard.
    were i live we dont need a filtration unit so i cant help you with that, sorry.
    hope my idea helps.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep your eyes open, this one sold on e-bay for $5 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kreonite-Water-T...QQcmdZViewItem

item #250281875083

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    the shipping was $57 and that thing is old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    the shipping was $57 and that thing is old.
    Off topic: Interesting that when I pull it up the shipping is $36. I guess it is automatically calculating based on zip code.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steveanalog View Post
    I am finally able to put a water temp and filtration system in my darkroom. I am needing advice on which system works the best. My funds are limited, and my so is my knowledge on this. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    The Wing-Lynch system is no longer made, but units may be around. It's fantastic. I've installed a number of them in college darkrooms; they work great. Wondering how I was ever going to get one for myself, I was very sad until I picked mine up surplus for $200 (it had the flow valves, the filters, and the warrantee card, brand new). I think I got really lucky, but who knows what's out there now?

It samples the water coming out and continuously adjusts the hot/cold to keep the temp within 1/4 degree F. The units are very reliable, but may need their various gaskets and moving parts (there are few) replaced every few years of heavy usage. The rebuild kits were going for $50 a few years ago, but may be hard to find now.

I believe they came in a 2 gpm version as well as a 4gpm.

For most work where you aren't doing a lot of color, though, the shower valve suggestion by TomStr above is really good. I plumbed a Moen shower valve into a unit which attached to the sink via the kind of hoses that they use to attach washing machines; a kind of portable plumbing. It worked just fine. In fact, even though I no longer have that darkroom, I still have the temperature control unit that I could reinstall very easily just by screwing the hoses on the bibs.
    Last edited by bowzart; 08-20-2008 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add more

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful buying used. I have two used units that I bought and now need to buy another as both were unusable and parts impossible/expensive to find. Should of bought new would of cost less in the long run.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Keep your eyes open, this one sold on e-bay for $5 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kreonite-Water-T...QQcmdZViewItem

item #250281875083

ic-racer, that's funny. I bought that item. Shipping was $0, as I live near NYC and drove in to get it. It was being sold by a local fashion photographer converting his studio space to digital. Really nice guy.

Steveanalog, if you want to do it on the cheap I agree the shower thermostatic valve idea is a good idea. If you're interested in the panel I just bought, expect to pay around $100 to $200 on e-bay. I've been following them for 2 months and actually purchased another one about a month ago for $175. Search for "thermostatic", "temperature", "control" and/or "valve" under "camera and photo". The $5 sale was a fluke and I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully one or both of them will work.

The panel has a few advantages over the shower valve, because it includes (left to right) a graduated flow meter; water filtration unit (which I believe uses Delta I filters available at B&H), C/F temperature gauge, solenoid valve control (for attaching to an electric timer switch so that you can leave the water flowing (e.g. for print washing) and have it automatically turn off after a set time) and second spigot with a vacuum breaker.

You may also want to follow Craigslist. I actually bought some easels from the same fashion photographer mentioned above a couple of weeks prior through Craigslist. I prefer e-bay, but persistence on both sites pays off. Best of luck in your search.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    The $5 sale was a fluke and I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully one or both of them will work.
    Good find, hope it works. I don't use one currently, but for $5.00 I'd make room to put one in!

I have had good luck getting things locally. Once went to pick up a $25 densitometer and they had an additional identical working unit they threw in for free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

the low tech approach works for me.

The 3/4" water line for the house comes up through the floor in my basement darkroom. I carried the 3/4" cold line up and over to the hot water tank. On the way I tapped off 1/2" cold water connections to the kitchen sink, washing machine, two outside hose bibs and the darkroom. After the hot water tank the cold water goes to 1/2" to service the washrooms in the house.

After a very short run of the cold water tap in the darkroom the cold water temperature very stable, the other large water draws don't cause any big pressure fluctuations.

Adjacent to the darkroom is the hot water tank, with about 15' of 1/2" hot water piping. I run the hot water tank at about 140F. After a short run of the hot tap I am drawing hot water.

All piping, hot and cold are insulated with foam sleeving

I have a wash tub faucet over the darkroom sink, with a dial thermometer stem inseerted into the water stream after the mixing point.

Some day I will find a deal on a thermostatic mixing valve. Til then, this set up works for me.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin