Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,252   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Metal/Steel tanks - UK??

I'm think of starting doing black and white film developing at home. Worked out the developer, stop, fix, wash stuff (I think) but I'm after some steel developing tanks. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get some from here in the UK. Looking to do 120 and 35mm.

Also what is the difference between having a lid like this -

and like this??

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might like to check out these guys, as these tanks do 'pop up' on the used market from time to time.

http://www.mxv.co.uk
    http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk

Ebay, of course is another site to keep an eye on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't help you with a source, but I can tell you the differences. In short, not much. The plastic lids fit well and don't leak much when inverted. A good steel lid won't either. Drop a steel lid and you might deform it, making it difficult or impossible to use. It will be awfully hard to find a replacement lid without getting another tank. The plastic lids can have a reputation for splitting as they get older. If you inspect them regularly, you can see it coming and avoid a problem. They are readily available, in the US at least, for a few dollars. I keep a spare around, and haven't needed it yet. If you're into the aesthetics of steel tanks, then one with a steel lid might be just the thing to float your boat. Me? I don't care what it looks like as long as it does the job.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    You might like to check out these guys, as these tanks do 'pop up' on the used market from time to time.

http://www.mxv.co.uk
    http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk

Ebay, of course is another site to keep an eye on.
    Have you bought anything from Secondhand Darkroom before as they have some reels and some other stuff which I might get? Or has anyone bought stuff from them?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have only as yet bought a secondhand Ilford Safelight and found it an excellent company to deal with. I think it stocks as big as range of items as the econs of the business allow it to do, given that it ties up capital for sometime by doing so. Excellent on chems and paper prices. It charges more on most secondhand darkroom stuff than can be obtained on e-bay but you know what you are getting with SDS. It has a star rating system for secondhand goods which in my limited experience of SDS is an accurate rating system.

If it was nearer and I could get there cheaply I'd make it my stockist of choice for most things.

Ring up and talk to SDS. I found the person I spoke to very helpful and not a bit pushy.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that. I just don't want to spend out loads of money and have products which I will not be happy with.

Anyone else?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you've not used 35mm metal spirals before can I suggest you practise a lot first?! I love 120 metal spirals but 35mm ones are a bitch and I gave up on them years ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well to start I'll just be doing 120 film as I got 12free black and white 120 rolls the other day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryrig View Post
    Have you bought anything from Secondhand Darkroom before as they have some reels and some other stuff which I might get? Or has anyone bought stuff from them?
    Yes, I've bought quite a bit of kit from them over the years and have always found them to offer a first class service.

I've also found MXV to be very good.

Trevor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a Bronica lens hood from MXV and was very happy.

Thanks for saying about SDS, I'll bare that company in mind

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin