Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,748   Online: 982

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wait a minute, wait a minute...if I remember correctly not a few months ago you had a fiancee and now you are married? when did this happen? I think you are the first APUG member who gets married, that I know, at least. I think in honor of this, Sean should make you a ball and chain icon.... Congrats Bud, I wish the two fo you many beautiful images and not all of them in a negative....

Ok as to the bathroom idea....with a little bit of plywood and some ingenuity you can make a very comfortable darkroom. You will need a medium to small enlarger, the Saunders LPL Aggie mentions is a great enlarger but it is huge, I would go with the smaller cousin, the Saunders LPL 6700, I had one and I loved it.

Build yourself with plywood a stand where you can put the trays one of top of the other, instead of having them side by side. On top of the sink put a pice of plywood and place your enlarger there.

If I recall correctly you live in AZ. I spent some time in Scottsdale and I recall in summer even the asphalt softens with the heat, the shed idea, unless you want to loose weight I think it is not so hot....

Good luck....let us know how it came out...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian's cheap safe light:

Red 25 watt party light bulb from local grocery store: couple bucks
    Cardboard and tape to wrap around it to make make it nice and dim
    bulb to plug adapter from home depot so I could plug it directly into my timer: .99

I wouldn't call it ideal but it sure worked good while I was waiting for a safelight I bought online to show up (got lost, had to file a claim, blah, blah, blah)

Another cheap tip... I use 3.5 liter round tupper ware containers for developing. Holds 6 - 4x5 film hangers with the greatest of ease and when I'm done I just slip the tops on again.. Only a couple bucks each at Zellers

Cheers,
    Ian

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check with Porter's. they have ladder trays that will really help you out with regard to space. you will work vertical instead of the more traditional manner but it works. We use them in our gang lab so more people can print at one time. You have a great deal of help with other items.

Images
    You might also want to think about a Nova setup. The footprint is way smaller and you can keep your chems longer.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I think you are the first APUG member who gets married, that I know, at least. I think in honor of this, Sean should make you a ball and chain icon....
    I don't know, Jorge.
    Maybe Sean should wait and see how Robert's bride holds up to a part-time bathroom filled with darkroom junk. If she hasn't packed her bags and fled after a month or two, forget the ball and chain, an angel icon would be more appropriate.

Robert,
    I'd almost always take my own personal darkroom in my home, no matter how small and, um... "equipmentally challenged" it is over booking time in a big institutional one especially under the circumstances that you describe. You can always work out a routine to compensate for your space/equipment considerations and in the end the only thing that really matters is what lies within the borders of the finished prints that you present. You certainly have every right to be pissed though. You have paid to be entitled your fair use of the school's facilities.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Robert,

I am in the process of setting up a darkroom in a similar space. The solution I have decided on, and I'm working on right now, is to make a two level area above the tub. Mine will be 2x4 frames that sit on the tub and support 1" plywood surfaces.

On top I'm placing a large plastic tray to use for my sink. It is actually designed to hold 55 gallon drums and contain spills. I'll drill it at one end and attach a PVC drain to go directly down to the tub drain. This will give me room for 4 trays (12x16) on top and storage and a print washer underneath.

I have been just using some old plastic shelving placed across the tub which works OK but I wanted to have an area that was easier to clean.

BTW, where is "just north of Inferno?"
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Large Format
    "If she hasn't packed her bags and fled after a month or two, forget the ball and chain, an angel icon would be more appropriate. "

For her definitly! heck she deserves one just for marrying the guy...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Light leaks are a problem with an improvised darkroom. Most fabric stores sell a material called "blackout" cloth. Its white so could look like a regular curtain; but functions very effectively in blocking light.

Another suggestion ( mentioned earlier), BTZS tubes for print development. I constructed 3 tubes out of 3" grey electrical conduit pipe (total cost, around $60). I used male/female screw connectors for connecting the print & chemical sections. It may look like a plumber's version of Davis' BTZS tubes, but the screw connectors functions much better than a single connector. I half-fill a plastic closet bin with water at proper temperature, set my chemical bottles in it. Once chemicals' temperature adjusts, pour chemicals into smaller sections of tubes & begin processing by floating/spinning conected tubes in bin. Less chemical usage, less mess & small footprint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    One other, kind of wacky, but possibly do-able, idea is this.....

Get one of those plastic sheds they sell at Home Depot, seal it up, and shove it in the back yard.
    That sounds quite like what I've ended up doing - I converted our existing shed for my dark room.

Bigest problems were light proofing (lots and lots of blackout material) and ventilation, when the weathers hot its almost impossable to work out there. Also watch out and make sure its good and damp proof.

I had fun geting rid of all the spiders first too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin