Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,679   Online: 915

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, one would think that since I am attending one of the top fine arts programs for photography in the country, that I might possibly have access to the darkroom.

Apparently this is not the case. Despite posted hours, the darkroom (which is huge) is pretty much inaccessible. Mostly because of 19 year-old darkroom monitors who simply would rather smoke dope than work.

Anyway, before I get into a huge rant here, I have realized that I absolutely need to have reliable access to a darkroom. I know, I must be insane in thinking this, I mean why would anyone in a photography program need that. But I am crazy I guess....

So, after cajoling the wife, I have managed to get the spare bathroom for a small darkroom. Apparently pointing out that over 7 attempts at using the darkroom, and having only managed to get 45 minutes of use, manages to get you someplace.

Now, I need to do this as cheaply as possible. As usual. But since I shoot mostly MF, and more and more 4x5, I would like to get an enlarger that can handle at least MF, and ideally 4x5. So any hints there would be helpful.

Also, I only have a standard tub/shower unit for the trays. I'd like to do 11x14 fiber, but I am not sure I can squeeze all the trays in. Any hints on setting this up would be great.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert,

I've been pretty happy with my old Omega DII. It covers 35mm to 4x5. I watched them for a while on the auction site and they tend to go pretty cheaply. Tons of used accessories available as well.

For reasons I can't remember right now I think the slightly newer D2 is the better unit.

Speaking of small darkroom spaces. The darkroom I'm vacating was so small I had to use my enlarger sideways.. no lie.

Best of luck setting up your space.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    As for space saving, instead of trays has anyone tried the BTZS tubes (3" wide) for prints?

Images
    The Newer version of the D II is the D2v and it has a variable condensor set. That way, you dont need to buy a new set of condensors for every format you use.

Try stacking your trays vertically. Get some sort of a rack that will allow you to put them one on top of the other. Put dev on top and work your way down in order to avoid contamination of other trays.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert,

Perhaps you could give some idea of the budget you would have to work with for the home darkroom. Then I think you would get some very specific ideas on equipment.

I would recommend:

Omega D2
    Get a cold light head
    A good 4 blade easel like asaunders up to 11x14"
    11x14" trays (get the cheap ones from B&H)
    Use a troublelight refletore with a safelight bulb bounced off the ceiling.
    Use some velcro strips that come with sticky stuff on one side and use a double thickness of black shower curtain for a blackout cloth for the door and window.

A focusing loupe or grain magnifier such as magansight or maganscope.

Go to a local lumber supply house such as Lowes and see if they have a scrap of counter top that will fit accross the tub tub. The formica surface is easy to clean.

A couple of tupperware tubs you can set in the tub for washing prints.

If the bathroom does not all ready have it, install some ground fault protection outlets where you plug in equipment.

Almost everything like the D2 and easel can be bought on Ebay on the cheap, you just need to be patient. Also if you want to make life easy in regards to processing film, get a used JoboCPE2 off EBAY. These are the smaller units but do an excellent job. If you decide to go the JOBO route you can process up to 4x5 negs and 8x10 prints. Let me know and I can give you some specifics on tubes you need and advice for use.

Hopefully Silverpixels5 will chime in, I think he uses a bathroom for a darkroom at the moment. He (among others) will have some good ideas.

I forget who has it but a wheeled kitchen stand [Microwave cart?] Anyways the enlarger goes on top and the trays underneath. When you need it wheel it out. Fill the trays. Plug it in. Cheapest is to find somebody selling everything off. It's already been mentioned but patiences is the key.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_greant

I've been pretty happy with my old Omega DII. It covers 35mm to 4x5. I watched them for a while on the auction site and they tend to go pretty cheaply. Tons of used accessories available as well.
    Ian: You got one of those too? Mine works well with the Pacemaker

Robert: My darkroom is so small, I have to go outside to turn around. Actually, the enlarger takes up only a small footprint and should not be a factor in your final decision. Trays are another issue. You could fashion a system of vertical shelves (maybe something available at K-mart/Home Depot) for cheap. I do not use tubes or Jobo motorized stuff so comment is non sequiture. Availability to a large sink is an important an issue as anything else. Since you are going to use a bathroom, maybe the tub can be used to advantage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aggie - My only concern with complaining too much is that the guy who heads the monitors is also one of the people who do the portfolio reviews for the MFA. From my prior experience in academia, I know that there are some "interesting" personality types out there. I am a bit reticent to piss anyone off. Especially since I have not-so-fond memories of a comm teacher last time who argued with on the particulars of a term paper. Which was odd because her arguement was based in the fact that her SISTER had a different experience than the person I interviewed.

It ended up nailing my GPA in that class.

One thing I need to do is look at where I am sticking the enlarger. The main counter area has a huge mirror behind it (so that has to get blocked off) and has 45 degree angle at one end. So I may have to build out from that.

One other, kind of wacky, but possibly do-able, idea is this.....

Get one of those plastic sheds they sell at Home Depot, seal it up, and shove it in the back yard.

Then I'd install a sink and everything else.

For water, I would run two hoses through the wall. One in, one out. The in hose would go to the faucet outside and hook into the sink.

The OUT hose will be trickier. But I thought I could do this....

Build a sump under the sink. Maybe 20 gallons. Install an automated sump pump. Waste water is then pumped out and along a hose into the nearest sanitary sewer drain (most likely the sink in my kitchen) as needed. I have seen this done once before. And it worked.

Any comments? It might give me more space, and the wife would be much happier....

Except when the bill came....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Images
    The home depot rubber shed will work, you'll just need to spend some time lightproofing it.
    hi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin