Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,274   Online: 1019

Shooter
    35mm

Water filtration options

Hi,

I have two cold water filter housings. One housing has a 10 micron filter, but I was wondering about installing the second one just before the first one, and was wondering what would be the best type of filter to use with it.

Options I have considered are a reusable coarser filter, such as 20 or 50 micron filter, to increase the life of the finer filter, or something like an activated carbon filter in an attempt to reduce the chemical impurity of the water.

Any ideas would be well recieved. I live in the home counties in the UK in case this makes any difference regarding water quality.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the Anglia Water region and use a single 10 micron water filter placed in line after a water softener; this set-up seems to filter out detritus effectively. I still use de-ionised water for the final rinse with wetting agent, which may be over the top.

There are many threads on water usage in the darkroom here on APUG that I'd recommend reading through.

Tom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We have a well, so the incoming water is filtered and then goes through a water softener. In the darkroom, I have a hot water and cold water filter for incoming water before it goes into the mixing valve. I use the 5 micron filters from Calumet and replace them once a year (but twice a year might be better) along with the O-rings. I use the filtered water for all mixing/washing/rinsing without problems.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    I am from the Netherlands. I noticed very often the water is contaminated with small particles. I was advised to use a Brita waterfilteringsystem. It claims to reduce particles as well as it softens the water. Some people however report risk of bacterial growth (is that english?) in these filters, introducing new problems. Any experience?
    regards
    Klaas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The answer depends on what your problems are. If you are having problems with organics or excessive chlorine, an activated charcoal filter makes sense. Otherwise, I would go with the coarse prefilter. You have to replace activated carbon filters fairly often.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm still building my DR and have not tackled this issue. We are on a well and for the house we use the following, http://watersourceusa.com/p-59-bsediment-filterb.aspx . I will probably get a 2nd unit with the "250 mesh" screen. I also have 2 cartrage filter for hot and cold.
    Robland - Seattle area

Insert "catch phrase" here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The info I have on the spin down or sediment filters referred to is they work best at full flow and not very good at lower flows.

They are used in Geo-Therm open loop systems with water flow rates of 15 GPM or more.

I don't know if yours are different although they look exactly the same as mine.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin