Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,638   Online: 847

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Getting a Jobo, CPE2 vs CPA2 vs CPP2

My ancient battered Jobo CPE2 (the old version with the dual speeds) looks like it is dying on me. The motor is starting to make strange noises and can hardly cope with larger drums. I am going to replace it as they seem very reasonable at used prices.

My thought is that I may take this opportunity to upgrade to one of the 'better' models, but I am not sure whether it is worth it. I mainly develop monochrome 120 and 35mm in 1500 series tanks, and occasionally 4x5 sheet film in the 2521 tank.

I have been thinking of starting C41 (mainly for use with XP2 after reading Way Beyond Monochrome). I don't shoot much colour or slide film, but do from time to time. Up to now I have been sending this stuff to a lab.

Is it worth getting a CPA2 or CPP2 instead? Is it worth having the lift (which I didn't have on my old CPE-2). From what I can gather searching many find the lift essential.

Thoughts welcome.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The CPP2 is the largest of the units and would provide the greatest flexibility. The lift is mandatory only for the 'expert' series drums, but I find it most convenient, and once you use it you will wonder how you got along without it. The only caution there is the handle has been known to break off, so when running maximum load, I use the right hand to 'help' lift the drum to reduce stress on the handle.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    CPP2 and CPA2 are the same except the CPP2 has a better temp control. Check out the site http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products/cpp-a.htm

With the CPA2 or CPP2 check the SN, see http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/bulletins/b019.htm

SN above 22000 have latest the motor upgrades.
    Last edited by dbonamo; 09-11-2008 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mark,

The biggest reason I can think of to get a CPA/CPP is the use of "Expert" drums.

Good shopping,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Ihave done colour negs and prints( up to 10x8 only) with my CPE2 without problems. The temp was adjustable fairly easily and stayed rock steady. Less than 0.2C degrees difference from one end of water bath to the other. Print chems' temp in the beakers remained absolutely steady.

I wondered about a CPP2 until I saw that one fetched £416 on e-bay recently. The seller had set a reserve of £400 and I thought that he'd have had no chance but there you are.

Not really pertinent to your post but if I had my time over again for colour printing, I'd be tempted to go for the much cheaper CPE2 for neg processing and a Nova Quad for printing where room temp and 35C printing is possible. It avoids all the faffing around with drums and pouring and decanting chems and finally drying said drum before beginning all over again.

Of course Nova Quads at 12x16 or 16x20 get expensive but it seems that at £416 for a CPP2 the Nova Quad and a CPE2 might not work out at any more.

It just struck me then that if this was the market price, it was an awful lot more money compared to CPE2 and CPA2 for relatively marginal improvements IMO.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoml View Post
    My ancient battered Jobo CPE2 (the old version with the dual speeds) looks like it is dying on me. The motor is starting to make strange noises and can hardly cope with larger drums. I am going to replace it as they seem very reasonable at used prices

Thoughts welcome.
    If you're interested in trying a repair on the CPE2 I have been told the motor is a BMW automotive windshield wiper motor. I don't know this as fact but I would drag the CPE2 motor into a BMW parts department and see if they could match it. But then again, how much savings is there in BMW automotive part versus an newer Jobo?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New, the CPP-2 is an expensive piece of kit, over £1000 here in the UK. Plus almost another £200 for the 'lift attachment'.

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...-2--4080/2324/

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Still available?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    New, the CPP-2 is an expensive piece of kit, over £1000 here in the UK. Plus almost another £200 for the 'lift attachment'.

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...-2--4080/2324/
    Are you sure you can still buy a new CPP-2? Omega-Satter has stated that the CPP-2s and CPAs have been discontinued and are no longer available. B&H sold the last of their inventory for $3400.00 US. New lift attachments are still available at several stores.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post
    Are you sure you can still buy a new CPP-2? Omega-Satter has stated that the CPP-2s and CPAs have been discontinued and are no longer available. B&H sold the last of their inventory for $3400.00 US. New lift attachments are still available at several stores.
    As you can see this company is still advertising them and state that delivery is 5 days. They may of course just have the last remaining few or one!

Firstcall are a reputable company. I only just recently purchased equipment from them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, almost same "problem" herre, having a CPE2 the bought as used and not knowing how long it will last, I looking into building one my self.
    I will use a old printermotor, a stepmotor a simpel driver to control it an haveing total control of the motor( direktion, speed, time) from the PC. Also include a waterpump for circulation and a more exact temp. and a heating element that can be controled hopefully from the PC.
    I'll be useing the attatchment to the JOBO drums from the Old.
    Found that a new or old is to expencive... and like the challenge to build a my own.

Jesper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin