Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,616   Online: 737

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Price for a Super Chromega E

I'm looking at a well used, but seemingly working Super Chromega E, and I'm wondering what it would be worth. Any ideas? I looked it over but the seller wasn't available for questions. It's dusty and looks very well used (alot of areas of "wear"), but all the mechanics seem smooth, and no gaping holes in the bellows. It has 5x7 and 6x7 cm mixing boxes, a mounted 150mm Rodenstock lens in a cylinder (which has "fog" but doesn't affect it's function, apparently), and another cylinder mount for a second lens, and some other flat lens mounts, various carriers, etc. It powers up but it looks to just have a power supply, not the "chromira" or whatever timer (I'd use my own timer anyway). I'm not sure if it's the E "II" or not. I can't really seem to find much info on the web or at Harry's website (seems to be mostly D 4x5 enlarger stuff there).

Thanks,
    Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Negotiate

I pulled in a D5 dichroic with a nice 135 lens, 2 mixing boxes, 4x5, 120 square and 35mm neg carriers, as well as a gralab electronic timer for $400, so that is somehwer to start. The E is only of interst if you need the 5x7, so perhaps a big price jump over the D is not worth it for most buyers.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is the chassis silver or black? When facing the enlarger is the 7" dimension of the opening running left to right or forward to back?

Images
    Mine was free, but it cost $100 in gas to drive across Florida to pick it up. Cashwise, I'd say $100 and the seller would be lucky to get anything instead of having to haul it to the dump. (Yes, the world has turned upside down!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    a mounted 150mm Rodenstock lens in a cylinder (which has "fog" but doesn't affect it's function, apparently),

Thanks,
    Tim
    Depending on how bad the fog is, The lens may require repair or replacing. Fog in a lens is never a good thing as it reduces contrast at the least.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    A lot depends on your local market. In southern California this would be essentially a give away item, especially with a lens that must be replaced.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Is the chassis silver or black? When facing the enlarger is the 7" dimension of the opening running left to right or forward to back?
    I believe the chassis was black, and the 7" dimension was left to right.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    I believe the chassis was black, and the 7" dimension was left to right.
    It's an E-6. Most likely with a super chromega ii E head. Essentially the same innards as the 4x5 head except it's a little larger. If you're into 5x7 or 6x17 I'd jump on it if I were you. There's really nothing that can go wrong with this enlarger besides general wear and tear. Parts are readily available. Shares most part numbers with the D-5. I reconditioned my head (swapped out filters and fan) using a $40 4x5 super chromega ii purchased off ebay. Far more even source than anything produced by aristo. The only thing better in this size would be a durst 138 w/ a cls1000 head. Considering the rarity of 5x7 enlargers I'd think $200-$500 would be a fair asking price. If you pull the trigger get a wall mount plus brace from Harry - far superior to the funny little baseboard mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the very informative reply. This is good to know.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    It's an E-6. Most likely with a super chromega ii E head. Essentially the same innards as the 4x5 head except it's a little larger. If you're into 5x7 or 6x17 I'd jump on it if I were you. There's really nothing that can go wrong with this enlarger besides general wear and tear. Parts are readily available. Shares most part numbers with the D-5. I reconditioned my head (swapped out filters and fan) using a $40 4x5 super chromega ii purchased off ebay. Far more even source than anything produced by aristo. The only thing better in this size would be a durst 138 w/ a cls1000 head. Considering the rarity of 5x7 enlargers I'd think $200-$500 would be a fair asking price. If you pull the trigger get a wall mount plus brace from Harry - far superior to the funny little baseboard mount.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just recently bought an 10X10 Chromega Dicro II F with a 300mm Schnieder lens in very good condition, for $250.00 on ebay. I was the only bidder. Sold originally for $27000.00.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin