Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,931   Online: 955

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sink Depth?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Sink Depth?

I'm building a sink and when I set it up to see how it all fits the sides seem a little high. Right now they are 8" and I'm wondering if that's deeper than usual. I know that most of this is how it feels to me but I can't help but wonder if there's a starting point with sink depth.

Thanks in advance.

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Starting point would be 0".

I have had sinks from 4" to 12" deep. I guess it might depend on what you want to use it for. I would feel comfortable with 8" for general purpose use. If I was using them for hand processing prints, I would use about 5" sides, with a deeper one for washing.

Regards
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I should have added that I process film in Jobo tanks and the sink is for developing prints and washing/toning. I'll see if I can grab some photos...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom sink is a bit less 5"-6" but that's more than enough. 8" sounds fine, it's the other dimensions that really matter.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

photos

Here are the photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sink_02.jpg   Sink_03.jpg   Sink_04.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, 8" is too high. The front of my sink is about 4" and the back about 8. If you plan it right, you can rest your forearm on the edge, esp if you add a wide,rounded lip on it, while rocking your trays during a printing session. One other thing I may try add to my sink stand is a foot rail for putting a foot up during long developing runs. ymmv of course

btw, that's a nice long sink you're building, lots of room for everything.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have another suggestion, one that I don't see discussed too often. I built my own stand for a "store-bought" sink. This was because the EOM stands placed the top edge of the sink at counter height, and so the trays were low, causing me to stoop over. By making the stand so that the bottom of the sink is at a comfortable height for the trays, it has worked out much better. And, the "comfortable height" for the trays (bottom of the sink) will vary by person.

This will, of course, probably then figure into your desire for how high the front wall of the sink is. (In my opinion, the back should be as high as practical, but that's another matter.) Just a thought. As always, YMMV.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After using a number of sinks in various friends darkrooms I figured the main problem was that they did not drain properly.

So I made a sink with a sloping bottom. It is 12cm deep at the back left hand corner and 18cm deep at the front right corner where the drain is. The top edge is level all round. Welding this together out of 1/4 inch PVC was tricky because every panel was a different trapezoid. But it was worth it for a sink that drains dry in less than a minute after a darkroom session.

The top edge is 1100mm above the floor and seems to suit me at 183cm tall.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Years ago I had a sink with 4" sides. After a few years I realized that was too low for me. My current sink has 6" sides, and I feel that is ideal for me.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm building my sink now. I wanted a sink with sides that I could rest my forearms on while tilting trays and waiting for processes to complete. I tried the height of my studio workbench as a sink base height, 36" above the floor, and found a good leaning depth was about 3 1/2 inches above that, to make 39 1/2 inches. That's the average height. I sloped the sink base so it should drain well. So the sides run from about 2 1/2 at the far end to about 4 1/2 deep at the deep end.

As an aside, I'm in the process, right now, of epoxying the sink together, a bit more of a job than anticipated, but it's coming together. I have discovered I am very good at creating bubbles in the fiberglass. They look horrid. I really hate grinding and shaping epoxy, but, darn it, I'm going to get it faired out well.

I suspect it's a pretty personal decision about sink side height. Some folks like very deep sides and some people put trays on a table.

C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin