Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,591   Online: 728

Thread: Enlarger Bulb

Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlarger Bulb

Hello all,

I have a Unicolor enlarger. I've heard it's the same as a Vivitar E34. Does anyone know where I can find the bulb for this enlarger? It's not burned out yet, but I have no idea how much use the previous owner used the bulb. I have a suspicion that I've used it more in the past two months than he did in the past 10 years, but I can't be sure. It's always nice to have a backup.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, well I have done some more searching on the internet and apparently the previous owner had the wrong bulb in the enlarger. It has a 100 watt bulb, and the enlarger is supposed to use a 75watt bulb. I have also seen where people use standard, $1 a pack bulbs from Wal-Mart in their enlarger. But, just because the mount is the same doesn't mean you should right? What can I expect if I use a standard bulb in the enlarger?

Thanks for the link, Gary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can likely expect uneven illumination. And perhaps a ghostly "Westinghouse 100W" in your print from the lettering, depending on the bulb's orientation.
    True screw-base enlarger bulbs have a thicker coating than household bulbs that evens out the light from the filiment, and no lettering on the glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Using household bulbs has been brought up a few times when the Philips factory stopped producing enlarger bulbs. I tried and failed, uneven illumination was the main problem, but the correct bulbs can have this problem too. If you like the enlarger, pick up a few bulbs in case you have problems in the future.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had the same issue when I used a standard bulb -- uneven illumination and lettering from the bulb appearing on the print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try wholesale electric shop ask them to order 6 bulbs by part number price should be 50% less than photo store.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin