Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,152   Online: 878

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, it appeared that my problem was my old Dichro 45S light source after all. I went through all the recommendations posted here earlier once more (even the plumb line) before I finally just replaced the light source with a new Aristo D2 cold light.

Both light sources measure 6 1/4" across at the diffuser. However, the Aristo visibly seats down further/deeper into the enlarger than the 45S does, and the problem I was having with the corners of the 4x5 film carrier not being illuminated went away.

I don't think this problem was intentional; my thinking is that something somewhere in the design or materials must have changed between the time my 45S was made and when my 45MXT enlarger was manufactured. I've read in a few places that the bellows material of the MXT is thicker than previous enlargers (it won't compress as much), and I can see that my MXT has a foam light seal on the negative stage (not present on the older enlargers) that is adding a little more space between the light source and film.

So, with the new closer light source my enlarger works great now. Woot!
    Last edited by konakoa; 11-04-2008 at 10:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Could it have been the lens board as well? Sometimes I think the 150 mm lenses require a little extension cone on the lens board.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jerold, I'm certain it was the light source all along, not the lens.

I don't think Beseler makes a extension cone (please correct me if I'm wrong) as they're just not needed. The bellows on my MXT are fairly long -- I just measured about 11" of extension from the negative to the top of the lens. I'm barely using half of that for my 135mm lens, so I doubt a 150mm lens would be a problem either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin