Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,525   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Recently during a demonstration I was doing for the photography class I teach I was embarrassed by one of the students’ observations. Apparently when I was showing them how to load film onto a reel for development (metal reels) I kept closing my eyes as I was going through the process. This caused me to be more observant during my normal routines in my darkroom.

Yup… every time I load or unload film holders in total darkness in my darkroom I do it with my eyes closed. Same thing for loading drums or any other procedure I do in darkness.

Does anybody else do this or I am uniquely weird on this one?

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do it all the time. that is the way I learned and since it really is a eye/hand thing the muscles react in the manner they were trained.
    When I told my class that I did that one of them said "do it". ( I was showing them with my eyes open at the time.) So I did. I think they thought i was pulling their leg.

Can load them either way, but old habits are hard to break!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi GreyWolf,
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this habit. Guess it's a safety thing, if I keep my eyes shut real tight no light can possably reach the film!
    wm blunt

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't load/unload film in the darkroom - I use a changing bag.

But I keep my eyes shut - I feel I can concentrate more on my hands this way.

Jorge O

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyWolf
    ...when I was showing them how to load film onto a reel for development (metal reels) I kept closing my eyes as I was going through the process...
    Does anybody else do this or I am uniquely weird on this one?
    Not only do I keep my eyes closed, I usually keep my glasses on.

Weird?? You call that weird? I'll show you *WEIRD* ...
    Not only that ... I drink a LOT of coffee ... I show you WIRED weird!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh! Amusing! I've done a bit of that now and then but mostly I keep my eyes open so I can see all the little glows and light leaks in my darkroom. It takes a while to see it and after a bit sometimes I can see where I'm putting things, kinda like working with shadows of an image instead of the real thing. Never had any film fogged while doing so, I guess my Xray vision is not that powerful.
    Gary Beasley

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Like Ed I load film in darkness with my eyes closed and my glasses on. I can't do it without!

And I tray-develop film with my eyes open, but must close my eyes to get the film out of the holders...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    You people are strange.....

I keep my eyes open but my glasses on. But then I always learned in the dark.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ed

You drink a lot of coffe while loading a reel?

That's REAL weird

Jorge O

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin