Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,356   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

What would be a good alternative to a JOBO TBE-2?

I'm interested in the hybrid route and would like to develop my own negatives/positives (35mm and MF) and then scanning them afterwards. I was concerned with temp control so I browsed the net and I came across the JOBO TBE-2 which got me interested. However, not only is it out of production (that's what I found out, so far) but the prices of the few that come out in Ebay are still prohibitive for me.

Any suggestions as to nice and affordable alternatives? I want something where I could set the desired temp instead of having to manually measure the temp in a water bath and regulating it by pouring hot or cold water.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can make a water bath and control the temperature fairly accurately with an aquarium heater & thermostat. I acquired colour processor that had been adapted by adding 2 heaters & a separate controller.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chest picnic cooler and aquarium heater. Get a biggish cooler. I'd say 50+litres but bigger is better within reason. Get one with a tap to drain off the water. Cheaper and if you get a get heater [Won bothers makes or made a good cheap one. Avoid the more expensive digital] better then the Jobo setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could make one that's probably more accurate than the Jobo by getting a titanium aquarium heater with no thermostat (~$15), a Solid State Relay (~$10), a Universal PID controller from Ebay (~$50) and some thermocouple sensors (~$10).

The basic idea is that the PID Controller reads from the temperature sensor (thermocouple) and then adjusts the "ON" frequency of the Solid State Relay which is connected to the heater. If properly calibrated it could probably hold a constant temperature better than the Jobo TBE since I believe it can just turn it's heater full on and full off, while this system can turn the heater partially on and off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're really worried add a small pump to circulate the water. Otherwise you'll end up with dead spots. Add something like a brick to the bottom. It'll hold temp better then the water will when you open the lid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You can make a water bath and control the temperature fairly accurately with an aquarium heater & thermostat. I acquired colour processor that had been adapted by adding 2 heaters & a separate controller.

Ian
    I'm not sure I've seen an aquarium heater & thermostat, Ian. Are they sort of modular (meaning, they come with ports to connect with each other when bought)? And I suppose I can use any deep enough container as a water bath, right? (And hopefully I don't have to use a real aquarium)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Chest picnic cooler and aquarium heater. Get a biggish cooler. I'd say 50+litres but bigger is better within reason. Get one with a tap to drain off the water. Cheaper and if you get a get heater [Won bothers makes or made a good cheap one. Avoid the more expensive digital] better then the Jobo setup.
    I may already have that type of cooler, Nick. As in my reply to Ian, I'm not sure I've seen an aquarium heater. Will it be a permanent attachment to the cooler, or will it be detachable when we need to use the cooler?

However, this setup looks too bulky for me (I was hoping for something that I can easily lift and put up on a table).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    You could make one that's probably more accurate than the Jobo by getting a titanium aquarium heater with no thermostat (~$15), a Solid State Relay (~$10), a Universal PID controller from Ebay (~$50) and some thermocouple sensors (~$10).

The basic idea is that the PID Controller reads from the temperature sensor (thermocouple) and then adjusts the "ON" frequency of the Solid State Relay which is connected to the heater. If properly calibrated it could probably hold a constant temperature better than the Jobo TBE since I believe it can just turn it's heater full on and full off, while this system can turn the heater partially on and off.
    Very interesting! Can you be a little more detailed on how I connect each of these parts? And what type of receptacle do you suggest for this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    If you're really worried add a small pump to circulate the water. Otherwise you'll end up with dead spots. Add something like a brick to the bottom. It'll hold temp better then the water will when you open the lid.
    What exactly are dead spots? Portions of the solution that are colder/hotter than the rest? And I'm kinda confused on how the brick will affect the temp. But thanks for your replies, Nick, and all the others as well!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I often see processors like the TBE-2 here in the Netherlands. The prices differ a lot I think from what you encounter on ebay. Here they go for about 35 euros. The -semi- and full-automated- types like cpa and cpp and the atl 1000 and atl 1500 are more expensive but within reach of amateurs also. I have bought a atl 1000 for about 300 euros.
    Last edited by willem; 10-24-2008 at 06:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin