Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,687   Online: 731

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Kodak Precision Enlarger. whaaaaat?

I recently won an auction on that "big auction site". A huge blue green Beseler 4 x 5 enlarger with motors and all. It came attached to a very hefty table that you could rebuild a huge diesel engine on, or support the earth practically. So I drove 3.5 hours today to go pick it up. When I got there, come to find out the seller really didn't know what went to this enlarger, so the question I asked before I bid "what negative carriers come with it?" were answered in a very ummm... general way. He had said it came with 35mm, 4 x 5, 6 x 6, 6 x 9. So that got me interested enough to quit bidding on other enlargers and only bid on this one. And.. I won the bidding thinking it was complete. So when I got there, I found it was missing the lens board, and any lenses at all, and it didn't have all those negative carriers. It has just the 4 x 5 and 35mm. The 6x6 and 6x9 where for another enlarger. He felt bad when I pointed this out. He had some other things, said I could take the whole lot if I wanted. I told him I didn't really have that kind of energy to locate missing parts for something and since I was in an apartment I had to really consider my storage. All these things were left by the seller of the house he bought. A mismatched lot of photographic equipment. The house seller was a drunk who gave up on life basically. Well, out of all the equipment he had there there was only one enlarger that was complete. It was the one with the 6x6 and 6x9 carriers. Look at what it is.. here's a fresh picture. Its a Kodak Precision Enlarger. It has no part number on it. Or date. It looks like it comes out of some 1930's era, real art deco styling. I expect it might have been standard equipment on board an alien spaceship or something! hehe. Oh, and what caused me to go home with this instead of that huge monsterous Beseler missing lens board and lenses was the nice surprize inside the head... a DOUBLE condensor and its no cheepie condensor either, its a super fantastic condensor. Its heaps better than any modern condensor I've seen in the dime a dozen Beseler's, Omegas and Dursts. I didn't know Kodak made enlargers at any time. Does anyone know what this is or when it was made or anything like that? It does look out of this world. Oh and it has a lens board and a 105mm Schnieder lens which is quite modern and very very good condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0190a.jpg   100_0193a.jpg  
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is, quite simply, the most bitchin' enlarger I have ever seen in my life!!!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    That is, quite simply, the most bitchin' enlarger I have ever seen in my life!!!

So you think I should hang onto this one eh? I did a cursory Google this morning, and also on eBay. Can not find any information on it. I am wondering if this is a relic of some real value! Well, tonight I'm going to set it up and expose some negatives to give it a 1-2 test. This should be interesting. I am thinking it will have very good results. The lamp is over 100 watts, which in comparison to my Beseler Printmaker 35, is at least double. It should cut down my exposure time required quite a bit.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    in comparison to my Beseler Printmaker 35
    Oh, it should outperform a Beseler Printmaker with no problem at all...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You kids forget the days when Kodak was the finest optical house on the planet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't know Kodak made enlargers at any time. Does anyone know what this is or when it was made or anything like that? It does look out of this world. Oh and it has a lens board and a 105mm Schnieder lens which is quite modern and very very good condition.[/QUOTE]

Kodak made several enlagers, at least until the mid 50's, maybe as late the early 60s. As I recall the Perscion was the top of the line model and the largest could take a 4X5. I used a Perscion enlarger at an Air Force Hobby Shop in the early 70s, the OIC would not let us the base lab after hours for personal use. The Kodak is not as sturdy as an Omega D2 or a Bessler 23c, but with a modern lens quite capable of giving good results. I would rate Kodak higher than a Federal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Your enlarger looks pretty good for a compact model - some info here:
    http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/B...kEnlargers.htm
    but the ultimate has to be the stovepipe model (Eastman Autofocus 5x7), which was available in 1926 and indeed for most if not all of the period between the world wars.

Shooter
    Large Format
    1SharpMonkey,

Kodak did make film adapters for that enlarge to use as a copy camera, you can find them on eBay now and then. For lenses it would take the 50/4.5 , 75/4.5 , 100/3.5 Enlarging Ektars, each is a great lens and they are all Heliar design. The 'Kodak Color Printing Ektar Lens' are commercial printing lenses and well worth trying out, they usually go very cheap, strange mount and no iris, fixed stop plate. If you want to get silly, you could hunt for the mythical 50/2.8 and 75/2.8 Enlarging Ektars, rarer than hen's teeth.

I had one of those, and I've still got a few of the parts stashed away. If you have everything for it and it is in good shape they are very nice machines. IIRC the weak link was the old cotton insulated power cord that runs up the column and through a bakelite plug on the top. Mine had a short in it and the experience could have been rather shocking.
    So inspect that cord!

I see from your picture that the power cord isn't set up the same way as mine. Sweet!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin