Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

In Market for New Enlarger....

Guys & Gals, coming back to film (from digital) after being away for 8+ years....I've not stopped digital shooting but I have added 35mm film...black & white.

So I want the best enlarger new for under $1,000. It has to be able to enlarge up to 11" x 14", and it has to provide a razor sharp projected image, with no fall out, so that the enlarger will not cancel out the awesomeness of my premium lens collection.

What do you suggest? Do they often come lense-less? Can the lenses be exchanged? What does a very good lens cost? What focal length are they in mm?

What Say You ;-)
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can one even buy new enlargers?
    I have a Beseler 23C for sale. And I'm in Orange County. And a box full of 'stuff'

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Can one even buy new enlargers?
    I have a Beseler 23C for sale. And I'm in Orange County. And a box full of 'stuff'
    Eric, I might be interested in your enlarger....would you please email or PM me specifics? And you being in OC would be an easy transaction if I buy...thanks.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Eric, I might be interested in your enlarger....would you please email or PM me specifics? And you being in OC would be an easy transaction if I buy...thanks.
    Quite honestly, there is no point in buying a new enlarger. They are expensive new, and will need additional expensive parts to be used. They are so common on the used market that all you need is some patience for the right one to turn up locally. The "right" one will come with a nice lens or two, a carrier or two, and a nice timer. I also feel that it may be worth it to get a medium format enlarger right off the bat, even if there is only a slight chance you may try medium format some day. This local 23C sounds perfect location wise, plus it can do color. Hope that it has lenses, carriers, and a timer.

I am also gonna write a response now to your lens question on the other post.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-04-2008 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with buying used. Also, it sounds like you are just starting out so better off starting with something replaceable once you learn your preferences. The Beseler 23C(?2) is a good enlarger for 35mm and medium format. However, I don't see a lot of used color heads for it. I personally don't like condenser enlargers, so I would buy something with a dichroic color head. Should be well within your budget including lenses. Buying locally is always better because you can inspect before buying, make sure everything works and the lamp works, etc. I bought a Beseler 45MXT off Ebay. It was poorly packaged and the frame bent during shipping. I just ate it because I paid so little for it that the return shipping would not have made sense. For lenses, a 6 element Nikon, Schneider, or Rodenstock should be great.
    Last edited by jeroldharter; 11-04-2008 at 04:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you would like to buy new, here is what the enlarger and light source might cost you:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not in the U.S. but given that most comparable darkroom equipment seems to be more expensive in the U.K then I'd say that if your budget is $1000 then the sky's the limited in terms of quality.

The best should be available to you for this kind of money.

I'd normally say "good luck" but for $1000 you won't need any. I'll leave it to my U.S APUGers knowledge to guide you.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Search ebay for enlargers near you. There is always a few nice ones in Orange County for sale. It is a buyers market for darkroom equipment. Also, check Craigslist. If you are patient, you can get a very nice enlarger for next to nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    35mm film...black & white ... I want the best enlarger new for under $1,000.
    The best enlarger & lens for under a grand new is going to be a pretty cheesy affair. If you want top-drawer equipment new figure $5K and up.

Buy used. Use the savings to buy a really good timer (cough).

It sounds like a Leitz V-35 would fit your bill.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Everyone, thanks for your help...It seems I'm going to look at used equipment...I feel so ignorant about wet processes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin