Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,309   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Durst D659 lens mounts

I have a Durst D659 which came to me (brand new old machine never used) with no lenses and no mounts. I found a disk for mounting the longer focal length, the 105mm. It is the standard 6xx size, with the 39mm thread which will work with my el-Nikkor. However, the mount for the 50mm lens isn't there and I neither know what it looks like nor what it is called. Durst names their various parts with rather cute names beginning with "Du" such as "Dutube", "Dulamp" etc. There must be a "Duxxx" name for this mount.

The 50mm lens that I want to mount in it is an older Componon with the 23mm thread.

If anyone can provide information about this item's identity, or has an extra one which I could purchase, or knows where it can be obtained, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Larry Bullis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are a couple of pics, cast alloy barrel is 71.5mm diameter, 40mm from the knurled edge to the top of the sheet metal bayonet The lens itself is on a floating metal plate so it can be adjusted to be parallel to the neg carrier. It sits about 20mm down from the top of the mount.

The fine knurled ring at the bottom is an extension aperture adjusting ring, it screws into the front of the lens. There are no visible part numbers on any part of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens3.jpg   lens4.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks!

So then, I'm going to try to describe what I make of this. Please tell me whether I'm on the right track:

On the enlarger, there is a tube where the 50mm lens fits that has no apparent way of locking anything in at the bottom, so it must lock in bayonet style 'way up inside.

In your pix, here's what I think I'm seeing. There is a plate that locks into the machine (at the top of the mount) by means of three tabs. Then it looks like there is a tube which serves as a mount for the lens at the same time as it serves as a recessed lens board. It attaches to the lock plate by means of three screws (are there springs?) that are used to align the lens to the system's fixed optics. If this is correct, then the lock plate is not itself adjustable, but the tube/lens mount can be adjusted to it. This would mean that the lens tube might be slightly off the perpendicular to the mounting plate but probably not much. True?

Seems reasonable. I'm going to have to order a manual and see whether I can find a name for this thing. So often, we just find lists of part numbers without even an indicator that points to the machine the part fits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your third paragraph si pretty much correct.

The three chromed screw ends in the picture hold the lens mounting plate to the tub. The thin metal plate with the three tabs is riveted to the tub by the three small rivets spaced between the screws. The metal plate is spring steel and clamps the tub to the enlarger housing, it also has clearance holes for the screws.

There are no springs, but there are three other screws not visible, that are in threaded holes in the lens mounting plate that act as adjustable spacers for the lens board. The chromed screws pass thru holes in the lens mounting plate and go into threaded holes in the tub, you see the ends protruding thru the threaded holes which are just below the thin metal spring plate. They all are reached from the lens side of the mount.

The rectangular "hole" in the first picture is where the light spills thru to illuminate the aperture ring via a red filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Your third paragraph si pretty much correct.

The three chromed screw ends in the picture hold the lens mounting plate to the tub. The thin metal plate with the three tabs is riveted to the tub by the three small rivets spaced between the screws. The metal plate is spring steel and clamps the tub to the enlarger housing, it also has clearance holes for the screws.

There are no springs, but there are three other screws not visible, that are in threaded holes in the lens mounting plate that act as adjustable spacers for the lens board. The chromed screws pass thru holes in the lens mounting plate and go into threaded holes in the tub, you see the ends protruding thru the threaded holes which are just below the thin metal spring plate. They all are reached from the lens side of the mount.

The rectangular "hole" in the first picture is where the light spills thru to illuminate the aperture ring via a red filter.
    It's a bit more complex than I thought it would be. Leave it to Durst. They were nothing if not ingenious in the most solid of ways. I doubt that it is going to be easy to find one of these. I've sent mail to various places on the hope one might be out there somewhere. Alternatively, I might have to construct something, but I doubt that it would have the alignment feature, at least not as originally designed.

Great description, though.

I have to wonder where the original mount went. Did I just not recognize it, or did they keep it for the lens that may have been in it.

Thanks once more.

L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are right, it is a rather complex part. I also left out the description of the variable aperture for the window that lights up the aperture scale on the lens via a red filter. There is a section of the inside of the tub that is also painted gloss white to redirect the light onto the backside of the aperture extension ring which is painted bright gloss white to reflect the light back up onto the outside of the lens barrel and aperture markings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are a couple of pics, cast alloy barrel is 71.5mm diameter, 40mm from the knurled edge to the top of the sheet metal bayonet.
    Is the diameter inside or out? Top or bottom of the knurled section? I'm presuming that the measurement to the sheet bayonet is to the top of the flat, not the tabs.

The lens itself is on a floating metal plate so it can be adjusted to be parallel to the neg carrier. It sits about 20mm down from the top of the mount.
    "...top of the mount" Is this the top of the flat part of the steel plate, also?

There are no springs, but there are three other screws not visible, that are in threaded holes in the lens mounting plate that act as adjustable spacers for the lens board.
    Does this mean that the chrome screws go through non-threaded holes in the mounting plate and set the plane of the lens, the other screws not seen in the pictures then act as "locks" to secure the plane by pressing against the upper plane of the tub itself? If this is true, we'd be able to see one of them if the unit were rotated slightly in the picture, right? (I'm just trying to visualize this, no need for another picture). Are these screws very near the chromed screws? If the chrome screws could pass through sort of beefy springs, would this accomplish the same purpose?

I've done a fair amount of hacking on Omegas, but Dursts have always seemed pretty formidable! I'm beginning to think that I might be able to fabricate something that would duplicate the functions of this part, especially if I can find another Durst "tub" that can be modified to substitute for the cast piece. If I need to do this, I will be grateful for some specific measurements. I'm working on that now, drawing lines on your pix. No need to give them to me yet; I have a lot of work to do before they will help me.

Can you give me a rough estimate of how thick the spring steel part is? That's going to be an interesting challenge with the jeweler's saw! Maybe I could use phosphor bronze. It only has to last for the rest of my life. After that, somebody else may care about it, but I won't. I'm sure that it doesn't get a lot of wear anyway.

I also left out the description of the variable aperture for the window that lights up the aperture scale on the lens via a red filter. There is a section of the inside of the tub that is also painted gloss white to redirect the light onto the backside of the aperture extension ring which is painted bright gloss white to reflect the light back up onto the outside of the lens barrel and aperture markings.
    This I don't yet understand at all. I appreciate your patience.

This has been EXTREMELY helpful. I think I'm getting a good picture in mind about how this thing works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can dimension the whole thing for you, helps that I have the tools and a lathe and milling machine as well. I will make another pic or three from the lens side with the aperture ring extension piece removed.

The sheet steel spring plate is 0.5mm thick. You can see the red windw, the small metal knob is the slider to close the window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens5sm.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tub ID 69.5
    Tub OD 71.5 just above lower knurl
    Height inc metal plate 35.6

The window is part of the lens assembly, not the lens mount housing.

Bonus info:

A Durst SEIPLA-75 recessed lens mount tub is 70mm in diameter and 33.5mm deep and could be easily modded to hold a 50mm lens in place.
    You would just have to make the spring steel retainer plate, and space it with three washers and screws.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, Bob, what a gift! Thanks! I'm going to look for the SEIPLA-75. Seems to me I've seen one around.

L.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin