Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,044   Online: 782

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Run-of-the-mill stainless steel reels aren't necessarily better than plastic, but Hewes steel reels (marketed in the U.S. as King Concept) are vastly better. I used plastic for years until I tried these, and there is no going back. Loading them is foolproof, and they're easy to spool and unspool for a quick look before the wash. You can reuse them faster, because they don't need to be bone dry before you load the next film.

I also appreciate that steel tanks use less chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Karencs View Post
    OK, thx. One more question--if there's nothing to hold the reels together (as in my plastic tank), do i just gently 'drop' each one in and when done invert the tank to get them out? I'm planning to buy a 4-roll tank.

K.
    The 4 roll tank should have a lifting rod included. The small tanks drop or invert, as you stated.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Yes, the plastic reels MUST be dry before attempting to load film.

Yes. Which is why, I'm sure, the handheld hair dryer was invented.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great, thx everyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    One extra bonus of plastic reels (at least Paterson type) - they are adjustable for 135, 127, and 120 film. So 1 reel can take the place of 3 steels (and good luck finding any 127 steel reals these days). Never thought I would need the option, but low and behold along came a Yashica 44LM. You may think you'll never change formats now, but don't bet your equipment on it!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin