Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,907   Online: 935
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    michaelbsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,106
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Well, I have Jo's old Beseler base, and the eraser works really well on the Unicolor drums that came with it.
    Erasers in a Unicolor drum, huh?

    Are we talking about the white pencil eraser blocks like one can buy at office supply stores? I have been wracking my brain to find a substitute for the OEM rubber separators that seem to get lost. Just carve out something from the eraser as stock material?

    I too realize this is an old thread, but if anyone who's still watching it can confirm that would be great.

    Sorry I'm no help with the Beseler drum. But I have Unicolor drums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eraser.jpg  
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

    The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    41
    There was an easy solution for the seperators in the LFP site.

    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

    He uses modified clothes clips.

  3. #13
    michaelbsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,106
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Monkey
    There was an easy solution for the seperators in the LFP site.

    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

    He uses modified clothes clips.
    That article is how I got started on the Unicolor drums in the first place.

    The clothes pins he uses are unusual, and I haven't been able to duplicate the technique with other clothes pins or any other spring type device.

    The problem is that the barrier must fit snugly into the V-notch of the rib (on a Unicolor drum at least) in order to prevent film movement.

    I have not had time to try the white pencil eraser trick yet. If it works it may well be better than the factory separator. It's bigger and easier to find in the dark when I realize I forgot to put it in my pocket before I openend the film holders!
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

    The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

  4. #14
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,386
    Images
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Erasers in a Unicolor drum, huh?

    Are we talking about the white pencil eraser blocks like one can buy at office supply stores? I have been wracking my brain to find a substitute for the OEM rubber separators that seem to get lost. Just carve out something from the eraser as stock material?

    I too realize this is an old thread, but if anyone who's still watching it can confirm that would be great.

    Sorry I'm no help with the Beseler drum. But I have Unicolor drums.
    Yes, exactly like that. Cut a piece with an Exacto knife to snugly fit the rail inside the drum. Put two 4x5 sheets in, then slide the eraser stopper in and finally slide two more sheets in. This way the piece of eraser effectively stops the films from overlapping as the drum rotates.
    The stopper has to be thin enough (mine are about 1/8" thick) so that the total width of the sheets plus the stopper doesn't exceed the length of the drum.

    I would be worried about using clothes pins, unless the spring material is made from high grade stainless steel. Regular galvanized steel could contaminate the chemicals.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  5. #15
    Jim Noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,868
    Blog Entries
    1
    The drum originally had the slide in ribs and a wing shaped piece which slid over one of the ribs to separate the film on the long axis of the drum.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

  6. #16
    michaelbsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,106
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    The drum originally had the slide in ribs and a wing shaped piece which slid over one of the ribs to separate the film on the long axis of the drum.
    The Beseler has a slide in rib, but I guess I have kind of hijacked this thread to ask about Unidrums. In those the runs are molded in. I like that since you cannot loose it, and it provides a little passage to the rear of the film so it clears better.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

    The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin