Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,338   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

separating sheet film in beseler drum?

I can't find any info on the web about this. Usually searches result in unicolor drums. I've got 8x10 beseler drums. I've read about separating the sheets lengthwise but I have the slide-in rib for that. It's when I develop two or four sheets that one sheet can slide down and overlap the other, resulting in 1 portion of a neg not getting the chemicals. What have you guys done to overcome this? Is there a trick gadget that can attach to the slide-in rib?
    thanks
    vinny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beseler-drum-ext.jpg   beseler-interior.jpg  
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Easy, Vinnie!

Wrote before thinking this time! It was a Beseler base that I used, not the drum!

Will a slit piece of eraser fit on the edge of that chemical tray, so that it would reach the drum wall and separate the sheets? Or it can be placed on the dowel-like rod that separates the two pair of sheets.

Jo
    Last edited by jolefler; 02-03-2009 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Duh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jo, your first response didn't make sense to me. Thanks for clarifying. An eraser won't work with the tray option. I'm trying to cut erasers different ways to grab the slide-in rib but I'm running out of pencils and my wife is going to kill me when she discovers all the useless pencils I put back in her drawer. Synthetic erasers seem to be a bit sturdier, I'm trying that out now.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have Jo's old Beseler base, and the eraser works really well on the Unicolor drums that came with it.

I also have a Chromega and a Beseler color drum Both have a round rail that separates the 4x5 or 5x7 sheets, and when doing more than two 4x5 sheets you put two side by side, correct? Both Chromega and Beseler had a little butterfly looking thing that would slide onto the round rail after you inserted two sheets, one on either side of the round rail, all the way to the bottom of the tank. Then the 'butterfly' would slide in until it touched the side of the 4x5 sheets, and then the remaining two sheets before you close up the tank.

I would try to find a piece of fairly stiff, but flexible (without breaking when you bend it) plastic tubing with an inner diameter about the same size as the outer diameter of the round rail. I would then cut a small piece off, about a 1/8inch or so, and cut off about 1/4 of the circumference of the material, so that you could use the rest to clip onto the round rail.

That's all I can think of. Don't know if the eraser will work on these. The erasers Jo gave me for the Unicolor drums work, because those drums have a V-shaped rail instead of a round, and it's easier to 'grip' than the round.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jo, Thomas, thanks for your replies. I managed to make a couple tabs out of some 1/8 plastic. I cut and filed them to the shape/radius of the drum and cut a notch (with a tiny round file) to fit snuggly onto the rib. I just souped 4 sheets of classic pan 400 and they turned out quite nice.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad that worked out for you, Vinny!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So will we be seeing....

a "for sale" classified ad here for "pencils for those who are without error"?

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Going to resurrect this thread since I have some questions... I got one of these recently and am looking forward to using it.

1) Mine did not come that slide-in rib. Has anyone come up with a suitable replacement for it?

2) How much chemistry does this take? Does 200 mL sound about right? And how much am I supposed to cut development time when rotary processing?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    To answer the second question, I use Kodak Tmax 400 and Xtol, the directions give the same time for rotary processing as standard inversion.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    w/o the rib, you're screwed. Hell, even with the rib, I was screwed till I sold the drums and got jobo expert drums. Now life is good.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin