Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,276   Online: 1066

Shooter
    Holga

Bogen 22a Filter Drawer, 6x6 Negative Carrier?

In early January, I won a Bogen 22a Special Enlarger on eBay for a reasonable price of $13 (shipping, however, was not so reasonable). After a hellish experience with an awful seller, I received said enlarger a month later.
    Upon unpacking and putting the enlarger together, I have found that there is no filter drawer. Besides the downside of not having a place to put my contrast filters, there is a huge light-spewing hole in my enlarger.
    I am wondering a few things:

1) If anyone might know where I would be able to find a filter drawer to fit a Bogen 22a Special (I have already checked eBay, and continue to check daily, I am looking for other recommendations)?
    2) If anyone here might have one they are willing to sell?
    3) If anyone has any suggestions for what I can do in the meantime to use my enlarger without a filter drawer? I am thinking some heavy layers of black tape would do - any reason this might be a bad idea?
    4) On a less important note - if anyone knows where I might be able to find a 6x6 negative carrier for the Bogen 22a (I already have an 80mm lens) or has one that they are willing to sell?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bogen has been out of busniess for at least 20 years, the only option is to look for another B22 for parts. You can use tin foil and tape the kind sold for tempoary repairs of car mufflers to seal of over the slot.

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks for the reply - just wondering, if I seal off the slot, is there any reason I couldn't use my contrast filters in the negative carrier with the negative? Will doing this create a different effect than intended?
    (Sorry if this is a dumb question - I've never not had a place to put my contrast filters before.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    aservadio, HI there,I would suppose it would work on top of the neg, be mighty careful that there's no scratches on the filter. if you've got a little filter holder under the lens that might be a hair better. Oh ya try craigs list my be something there. Theres a word they use around here for ebay sometimes but I'm not aloud to say it encase theirs women folk around. m.c.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    yes , you could use the filter on top of the negative. just be careful.
    however, if you wanted to do split printing that would get a bit 'tricky" so under the lens filters would help in that use.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks ann and mike c, it does seem that I have a filter holder under the lens, however I've never worked with filters below the lens before... Does it make any difference that the filters I bought were labelled "above the lens"? They're just 3x3" gel squares from Ilford. Thanks again for the help.

Shooter
    35mm

No filter drawer

Quote Originally Posted by aservadio View Post
    In early January, I won a Bogen 22a Special Enlarger on eBay for a reasonable price of $13 (shipping, however, was not so reasonable). After a hellish experience with an awful seller, I received said enlarger a month later.
    Upon unpacking and putting the enlarger together, I have found that there is no filter drawer. Besides the downside of not having a place to put my contrast filters, there is a huge light-spewing hole in my enlarger.
    I am wondering a few things:

1) If anyone might know where I would be able to find a filter drawer to fit a Bogen 22a Special (I have already checked eBay, and continue to check daily, I am looking for other recommendations)?
    2) If anyone here might have one they are willing to sell?
    3) If anyone has any suggestions for what I can do in the meantime to use my enlarger without a filter drawer? I am thinking some heavy layers of black tape would do - any reason this might be a bad idea?
    4) On a less important note - if anyone knows where I might be able to find a 6x6 negative carrier for the Bogen 22a (I already have an 80mm lens) or has one that they are willing to sell?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Might try this:
    Anything U put after the condenser is kind of touchy and should be optically clear. What U might try is, find a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 neg carrier & cut the sides down to go into the slot then find something to put on the outside of it to seal the light. Just an idea (excuse the drawing).

---------------- \
    xxxxxxxxxxxx \
    x...................x \
    x.... 2 1/2 .......x]xxxxx
    x...................x /
    xxxxxxxxxxxx /
    ---------------- /
    Last edited by stressed61614; 02-27-2011 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: alignment

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin