Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,423   Online: 785

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Believe it or not I still have a Polysales catalogue dated Summer 1982. I loved those guys. Picture matches your machine. It says "supplied with diffusor, enlarger and safelight plugs" "Easy to use! 1 Adjust paper speed to suit pack (easily determined). 2 With negative in carrier and diffusor in position, place sensor on baseboard and set instrument to balance position which also turns on the enlarger. 3 Adjust seconds knob until neither red nor green LED light is on. 4 Switch to time position , remove sensor and diffusor. 5 Press button and the correct exposure, as indicated on the seconds dial is automatically given. At the same time the green LED flashes at one second intervals as an aid to any dodging and shading needed.
    Price £39.95 Spare enlarger plug for extra enlarger £2.49"
    There you go. Catalogue was full of "must-haves".
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is nice to know my wild assed guess is not so far off the mark. Diffusion analysis is a way to measure the exposure of a scene as well. I usually reserve diffusion for use with my Colorstar when there is an outdoor shot with one no big colour bias, and no obvious spot for metering as neutral grey. It is usual that a general outside scene intergates (ie diffuses) to neutral grey. The remarks for calibrating the paper speed still appear to be correct.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, I have a couple of Philips meter/timers from the late 70's and they were quite sophisticated, you used the probe to measure the negative highlights & shadows and a dial calculator, sepereate indicated the grade & exposure time, it had a paper speed dial that you calibrated. It was very good, but I'd already been printing commercially for a few years so the old dog knew better tricks.

The Polysales timer may have been similar. Both Rayco & Melico made very good equipment, they made professional timers & colour analysers and went particularly for the burgeoning colour market as it took off in the late 60's. They were the RH Designs / Darkroom Automation of that era and extremely good at what they made, but they didn't have the resources of Durst, Philips etc to compete when they entered the analyser & timer market.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    Well, Google only got me this post and your one on Photo.net until I remembered that the owner of Polysales was called Alec Fry, at which point Google got me http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...hreaded&page=0 Best of luck if you do contact him!
    Well, here I am! Long since retired but happy to answer any questions about Polysales products (if my memory doesn't let me down!).

Anyway, my best regards to anyone who still remembers me...

Alec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin